Work type: Executive Management
Major Administrative Unit / College: Administration
Department: Human Resources 10070642
Sub Area: FAS- Fac./Acad Staff
Salary: Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Human Resources, Executive Management, Full Time (90-100%), Non-Union
Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer
Reporting to the executive vice president for administration and chief information officer, the VP/CHRO will help provide strategic direction and tactical support of institution-wide human capital management and will serve as a proactive partner to the president's cabinet on all matters related to HR. The VP/CHRO oversees the delivery of HR policies, programs, benefits, and services for approximately 12,000 full- and part-time faculty and staff. The VP/CHRO will work collaboratively across campus to integrate high-quality Human Resources services throughout all facets of the university. Success in this role requires an effective communicator and strategic thought partner with demonstrated experience within a similarly sized and complex environment.
OPPORTUNITIES AND CHALLENGES
The successful VP/CHRO will address the following opportunities and challenges:
- Guide the transformation of the HR function toward becoming a true strategic partner to executive and administrative leadership and the populations served by the HR team, focused on both driving a culture of greater accountability, as well as supporting efforts in promoting MSU as an employer-of-choice.
- Implement a collaborative strategy to successfully realign MSU's outdated employee classification system.
- Lead a service-oriented culture of innovation, accountability, and excellence. Develop and execute a robust talent management strategy that includes effective talent acquisition programs to ensure the appropriate recruitment and long-term retention of faculty, staff, and executive management employees.
- Drive leadership development, performance management, training, and succession planning programs, geared toward the increasing interest in MSU's progressive and forward-thinking strategic agenda.
- Craft a compensation and classification system and strategy to ensure market-based, equitable wage and salary programs, and competitive and cost-effective benefits programs for administration, faculty, and staff.
- Provide meaningful support to all levels regarding human resources issues. Assure the timely exchange of accurate information, reports, data, documents, trends, as appropriate to effectuate management and decision-making processes.
- Actively cultivate cooperative and productive relationships with key constituents across the university, while emphasizing transparency and effective communications with the community, and improving the constituent experience.
- Foster and provide leadership in diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives, ensuring MSU's workforce honors individuality and protects the rights and dignity of all.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.
Qualifications and Experience
The vice president will bring many, if not all, of the following professional qualifications, skills, and experiences:
- Progressively responsible track record of demonstrated successes supporting a diverse workforce in planning, organizational effectiveness, problem-solving, hiring, retention, facilitation, and decision-making skills and competencies.
- Demonstrated expertise with a record of achievement in evaluating proactive and competitive human resources practices and presenting recommended courses of action for development to executive and administrative leadership.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, as well as strong presentation and influencing skills.
- Ability to work effectively and productively in a collaborative team capacity with creative approaches to organizational development opportunities.
- Ability to create and implement effective communications strategies to broadly disseminate information regarding human resources strategies, objectives, and priorities.
Key Required Attributes:
- A proven track record of fostering change management, process improvement, and development and implementation of effective and efficient business processes.
- A proven track record of success as an executive HR leader in a higher education setting.
- Strong management skills with experience working with decentralized and highly autonomous operating units. Demonstrated knowledge of the laws, regulations, and executive orders relating to human resource and affirmative action/equal employment opportunity issues and concerns.
- Demonstrated expertise in budget management.
- Participative management style - advocates team collaboration with a strong ability to influence. Ability to collaborate with multiple and diverse constituencies with a strong commitment to service and providing an excellent constituent experience. A history of building and developing teams. Displays empathy.
- Demonstrated strong negotiation skills to successfully manage leadership and employee expectations.
- Previous success providing effective coaching to direct reports to optimize their capabilities by providing feedback, advice, and suggestions to ensure success.
- Ability to provide managerial support as needed, an approachable and compassionate listener.
- Unquestionable ethics in establishing a workplace environment that promotes the dignity of people and the diversity of talent, while enabling others to serve society.
- The successful candidate should ideally hold a bachelor's degree in a relevant field, with an advanced degree preferred.
Required Application Materials
Michigan State University has retained the national executive search firm Isaacson, Miller to assist in this search. All inquiries, nominations, referrals, and applications should be sent in confidence to:
Rebecca Kennedy, Partner Stephanie Simon, Associate Isaacson, Miller www.imsearch.com/8234
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
Review of Applications Begins On
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Nov 29, 2021 Eastern Standard Time
This job has expired.
Applications close: Nov 29, 2023 Eastern Standard Time