The Tool & Cutter Grind B employee is a critical individual within Jacobs Vehicle Systems. The individual would be responsible for various cutter grind and tool-making processes that are vital to the department.
The Toolmaker will be joining the JVS team in Bloomfield, CT. JVS is part of Altra (AIMC).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Produce engineering prototype hardware from drawings, hand sketches, and verbal descriptions of intended functions.
- Utilizing precision diametric fits and other development work for such hardware.
- Diagnosing and troubleshooting for close-tolerance/high-finish production tooling.
- Work to close tolerances, critical angles and surfaces.
- Plan, construct and repair complicated Tool Room and Cutter Grind assignments, such as jigs, fixtures, gauges and specialized tools; this includes hand milling, turning and grinding equipment.
- Sharpen cutters, drills, reamers, and form tools, using cutter grinders, drill grinders, surface grinders, and tap grinders; working from specifications, drawings and sketches, instructions.
- Re-sharpen tools to prescribed standards according to materials to be machined.
- Modify standard cutting tools for special applications.
- Use precision measuring equipment to determine accuracy and specified dimension relationships.
- Work on new experimental cutting tools working with production and manufacturing engineering staff personnel.
- Work with designer on determination of specifications where toolmaker practices and skills experience input is critical to the end result.
- All other duties as assigned.
The company in which you have expressed employment interest is a subsidiary or affiliate of Altra Industrial Motion Corp. The subsidiary or affiliate is referred to as an ""Altra Company."" Altra Industrial Motion Corp. and all Altra Companies are equal opportunity employers that evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or other characteristics protected by law. The ""EEO is the Law"" poster is available at: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. Individuals who need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process will have the opportunity to request accommodation during the application process.
Job Requirements Critical Competencies
Education and Experience Requirements
Analytical Skills: Tool and die makers need to create and read advanced blueprints to create specialized tools and molds.
Attention to Detail: Precision is key. Tool and die makers need to make sure that their models and finished products are free of flaws to the minutest detail.
- Tool and die makers use CAD software and other computer programs to design and craft tools and die-casts.
- CNC experience is preferred in this position.
- Requires a basic understanding of materials and heat treatment operations.
- Knowledge and practice of precision diametrical fits, production of coil springs, flat springs, die-formed components and tolerance assemblies.
Mechanical Skills: In addition to computer software, tool and die makers use a number of hand tools and large scale machines to finish their products.
Stamina: Tool and die makers spend long hours on their feet, often bent over in the same position
Problem Solving: Ability to problem solve is critical in the JVS Tool & Die position.
Multitasking: Agility to work on various projects is important in our lean environment.
Personality: Driven, charismatic, and motivated to learn new skills in different areas.
Physical Demand and Work Environment:
- High School Diploma or GED is required
- Tool & Die/Cutter Grind Certificate is preferred or equivalent experience in a manufacturing environment
Physical requirements of the job role include, but are not limited to, the following:
- The employee will be required to stand and walk (8 to 10 hours a day based on department and product)
- Reach out at arm's length and reach overhead
- Bend at waist level
- Push, pull and manually handle product and/or tooling materials through the machining process using both hands.
The employee must be comfortable working in an environment where there is a presence of strong odours (oil and coolant) exposure to sharp objects, loud noises and variable temperatures.
The employee must be capable of donning the mandatory personal protective equipment necessary for safety compliance including, but not limited to: safety glasses, hearing protection and steel toe safety shoes.
EEO Statement: The company in which you have expressed employment interest is a subsidiary or affiliate of Altra Industrial Motion Corp. The subsidiary or affiliate is referred to as an ""Altra Company."" Altra Industrial Motion Corp. and all Altra Companies are equal opportunity employers that evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or other characteristics protected by law. The ""EEO is the Law"" poster is available at: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you have a disability and need assistance accessing or using this website to apply for a position, you can request assistance by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.