The Student Services Specialist serves as the administrator and coordinator for the Department of Biology's graduate degree programs by overseeing all components, from recruiting through graduation and ensuring compliance with the university's degree program regulations. The graduate student services specialist will advise and monitor the progress of all biology graduate students and develop and implement policies and procedures in accordance with department and School of Graduate Studies (SGS) regulations.
- Work independently to manage the graduate program, providing ongoing non-faculty advising support in conjunction with faculty advisors throughout students' academic career. Mediate between students and the appropriate university offices concerning issues related to tuition, financial aid, and course registration. Serve as a resource to students to resolve these issues timely without placing a burden on the student. Meet with any students requesting support in their decisions on programmatic or personal matters effecting their academics. Work with faculty to discuss and evaluate student progress, problems and action needed. Serve as key contact and facilitator of procedures and systems for the program. Develop policies and procedures, with guidance from the Department Chair, to develop and modify the program curriculum, including course and thesis development, as well as standards for syllabi. Develop and maintain all student handbooks for each degree program and the advisor/mentor handbook. Administer websites for housing course materials, including most recent syllabi, curriculum, program guideline and information. (20%)
- Work in conjunction with Director of Graduate Studies (faculty member in Biology) to monitor and ensure timely completion of degree benchmarks, maintaining compliance between Biology graduate program policies and SGS policies in addition to keeping faculty up-to-date on any changes. (15%)
- Generate and maintain student files by monitoring the progress of individual students in the program and logging all degree requirements as achieved and assisting students to ensure all required forms are filed appropriately through degree completion. (10%)
- Develop recruiting and marketing strategies for educational programs. Conduct marketing research to identify trends in educational programs in subject areas related to our department expertise. Identify and write-up research initiatives, faculty research, and students' experiences that illustrate compelling reasons for prospective students to apply and enroll in the degree and certificate programs. Research, develop, write, and edit recruitment materials, including newsletters, pamphlets, flyers, web content, email, and advertisements to key market segments. Actively recruit students for biology graduate degree programs (i.e., M.S. and Ph.D.), including direct email and phone communications with domestic and international students. During recruitment, serve as liaison between prospective students and the Department by identifying faculty members with mutual interests and goals. This includes recruiting and preliminary advising for new graduate students in the Entrepreneurial Biotechnology Program. (10%)
- Onboard new students to the Department of Biology and Case Western Reserve University as well as orientation to Cleveland and the United States for international students. Meet with and assist all new graduate students with any questions or issues. (6%)
- Assess applications to the graduate program, including conducting the initial assessment of each application. Evaluate and rate each application, including evaluating and rating international transcripts, and provide recommendations to the Biology Graduate Admissions Committee (on which this position will serve) and Department Chair. Work with School of Graduate Studies to assure smooth application process for graduate student applicants. (6%)
- Serve on the Biology Graduate Affairs Committee and advise the group on specific student issues as they develop and follow up to ensure resolution. (5%)
- Interview and identify the financial aid needs of incoming students and process and submit Memo of Assistance forms to the Office of University Financial Aid for those who qualify. (5%)
- Determine availability and qualifications of students for Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) assignments and tuition waiver distribution. Work in conjunction with Business Manager, Director of Graduate Studies and Graduate, Undergraduate Assignment Committee (GUAC). (5%)
- Independently collect data to assemble and maintain a database of current and previous graduate students in order to support development of graduate training grants, reports to external agencies, and ongoing monitoring of the program. Monitor and assess all documents associated with the graduate program, revising as necessary including all media materials and the Graduate portion of the Department website. Work cooperatively with Biology Business Manager in annual budget preparation, including projections for required numbers of stipends and tuition waivers, departmental GTA staffing requirements, and statistical data characterizing recruitment. (7%)
- Organize and execute the graduate student orientation and introduction event before the fall semester annually, including catering and presentation to entering students introducing students to the department and its policies. Continuously assess the quality and timeliness of graduate program by researching and monitoring programs at peer institutions to help identify and enhance the experience of graduate students in the department. Initiate the development and implementation of new policies and procedures in response to changes in the characteristics and interest of prospective and current graduate students. (6 %)
- Work with International Student Office to facilitate immigration process for foreign students, assist with housing, obtaining SSN, etc. (1%)
- Prepare Curriculum Practical Training (CPT) paperwork for international Entrepreneurial Biotechnology MS program's students doing internships. (1%)
- Assist other support staff to cover work overflow and provide backup as needed. (1%)
- Help monitor and update the department website. (1%)
- Perform other duties as assigned. (1%)
Department: Frequent contact with department chair and director of graduate studies to discuss student issues, curriculum guidelines, recruitment issues, etc. Frequent contact with department faculty to discuss graduate affairs and recruitment issues. Frequent contact with business manager to discuss student financial support, wavier issues, etc. Seasonal contact with the chair of the Graduate Admissions Committee to support graduate student recruitment.
University: Moderate contact with the Office of Graduate Studies to discuss graduate policy matters and submission of documents. Moderate contact with the Bursar's Office to discuss tuition and billing issues and MOAs. Occasional contact with the Office of Financial Aid. Occasional contact with International Student Office to discuss immigration issues.
External: Frequent contact with prospective graduate students to discuss recruiting matters and general information.
Students: Continuous contact with graduate students to discuss program questions, degree requirements, submission of paperwork, financial and billing issues, etc.
No direct supervisory responsibility.
Experience: A minimum of 3 years of academic advising experience required.
Education/Licensing: Bachelor's degree required; Master's degree preferred.
- Must demonstrate a high level of professionalism.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse student population, faculty, and staff.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Highly motivated and able to work under limited supervision.
- Ability to independently make decisions and come up with new ideas or establish new procedures.
- Requires accuracy and attention to detail as well as strong organizational skills.
- Ability to deal effectively with sensitive and confidential material.
- Computer proficient including Microsoft Office applications, WordPress, Adobe Creative Cloud, Internet, experience using PeopleSoft systems preferred.
- Familiarity with and ability to evaluate international transcripts.
- Ability to meet with consistent attendance.
- Ability to interact with colleagues, supervisor, and customers face to face.
General office environment. The employee will perform repetitive motion using computer mouse and keyboard to type.
This job has expired.