Sr. Research Specialist
The Department of Biomedical Engineering is seeking a Senior Research Specialist who will oversee and manage research projects and daily operations of a research laboratory developing nucleic acid sequencing and biophysics methods. Will have an in-depth understanding of the context and implications of the research in order to apply and interpret theoretical knowledge necessary to conduct research.
The range of duties includes, but is not limited to: project planning, experimental design, developing methodology, conducting procedures, modifying procedures as needed, data collection and analysis, laboratory management, project management, preparing publications and reports, and communication and instruction. Work may include the training and supervision of staff, students and others in performing specific techniques or phases of experiments.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
If you aren't sure if you meet the qualifications for the position, you should still consider applying - we will carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, suggest another role that might be a better fit, or thank you for your time. Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Work requires development of new applications including but not limited to techniques such as: bisulfite next-generation sequencing, chromatin immunoprecipitation, fluorescent microscopy, cell culture, HMW DNA extraction, Oxford nanopore, PacBio, and Illumina library preparation, de novo genome assembly, alignment and bioinformatic analysis of methylation data.
- Evaluate options and make decisions regarding the purchase of new laboratory equipment.
- Collaborates in conception and design of research and in writing grants and proposals.
- Serves as a primary presenter within department and/or at professional conferences. Co-authors/authors manuscripts and publications.
- Act as a resource for laboratory techniques for post-doctoral fellow and students and junior technicians. Identify problems and propose and implements plan for solutions. Manages the lab to ensure equipment and supplies are kept in order.
- Designs and implements modifications and changes to technique, procedures and quality control measures.
- Identifies and selects best options for scientific strategies and research development based on literature reviews and collaborations with colleagues. Incorporate new technologies into the laboratory.
- Bachelor's Degree in Biology, Chemistry or related field.
- Four years experience in a comparable laboratory performing relevant techniques.
- Master's Degree, with related graduate research, may substitute for experience to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.*
* JHU Equivalency Formula: 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job. ** Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date. Preferred Qualifications:
Special Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Master's Degree or equivalent preferred.
- Proficiency in laboratory methods/techniques associated with biochemistry, analytical chemistry, basic cellular and molecular biology, and physical chemistry preferred.
- Basic computational skills (Windows, MS Office) required. Advanced skills (UNIX, sequencing alignment tools) preferred.
- Excellent time management, communication, and organizational skills are required.
- Experience planning, executing, and troubleshooting projects preferred.
Classified Title: Sr. Research Specialist
Starting Salary Range: $45,650 - $62,850 annually (commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday through Friday
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: Homewood Campus
Department name: Department of Biomedical Engineering
Personnel area: Whiting School of Engineering
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/
and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/
.The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled. EEO is the Law
Learn more:https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdfTo apply, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Baltimore-Sr_-Research-Specialist-MD-21218/820971000/
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
This job has expired.