The College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University invites applicants for the full-time, benefit-eligible position of Senior Diversity Officer for Inclusive Excellence.
The Senior Diversity Officer (SDO) for Inclusive Excellence is the lead diversity officer for the College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University (CSB/SJU). The Senior Diversity Officer will provide counsel to the President on diversity and inclusion matters; provide leadership for the CSB/SJU diversity and educational equity initiatives; lead anti-racism planning; collaborate with the Diversity Coordinating Council, the CSB/SJU Leadership Team and other CSB/SJU offices to advance the diversity and educational equity efforts; provide leadership, coordinate and assess the efforts of various campus constituents to increase pathways of success for all students, faculty, and staff, especially those from underrepresented populations.
The Senior Diversity Officer for Inclusive Excellence must be an experienced leader, as well as a change agent, able to foster a diverse, inclusive, and caring campus, and align and integrate a wide range of existing and new initiatives to build on a culture of equity, inclusion and belonging. The Senior Diversity Officer participates in all aspects of institutional planning in support of the mission and goals of the CSB/SJU, including meeting the needs of the diverse student, faculty, and staff populations and creating a learning and working environment where all can succeed. In addition, the Senior Diversity Officer in consultation with the President, will lead the Diversity Coordinating Council. The Senior Diversity Officer sits on the President's Leadership Team and reports on diversity initiatives while working with the Leadership Team.
The College of Saint Benedict (CSB) is a liberal arts college for women, and Saint John's University (SJU) is a liberal arts college for men and a graduate School of Theology for both men and women and is also the home of the Hill Museum & Manuscript Library and the Collegeville Institute for Ecumenical and Cultural Research. The campuses are located in the central lakes area of Minnesota, surrounded by more than 3,000 acres of pristine forests, prairies, and lakes. The campuses are minutes away from St. Cloud, an increasingly diverse regional center with a population of over 100,000, and 70 miles from Minneapolis and St. Paul. Some CSB/SJU faculty and staff choose to reside locally, while others commute from the Twin Cities. Both St. Cloud and the Twin Cities offer a wide range of fine arts, cultural, dining, recreational, and sporting opportunities.
CSB/SJU are Catholic colleges in the Benedictine tradition enlivened by values of community, hospitality, stewardship, and justice. The schools are dedicated to cultivating an equitable, inclusive community founded on respect for all persons. Students, staff and faculty from many diverse belief systems and backgrounds collectively bring a rich dimension to the academic, cultural, and religious experience at CSB/SJU. Learn more in our Institutional Statement on Diversity and in our brochure regarding Higher Education in the Catholic and Benedictine Tradition.
With a total enrollment of approximately 3,200 students, CSB/SJU are unique in all of higher education, distinguished by their commitment to the holistic transformational development of women and men within the context of a unified, coeducational experience. All students, faculty, and staff have the opportunity to experience and engage with the two institutions. For further information, see http://www.csbsju.edu/about.
CSB/SJU offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits program.
- Leads CSB/SJU's Inclusive Excellence institutional efforts/strategic plan in collaboration with senior administration to ensure that the CSB/SJU's commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion is embedded throughout all aspects of its operation
- Plans, guides, and advises President and Leadership Team on diversity, equity and inclusion matters, collaborating to create, implement and monitor programs designed to advance strategic priorities and polices related to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Develops and implements strategies and programs, consistent with our liberal arts and Benedictine mission, to increase organizational and individual cultural fluency through student, staff and faculty development opportunities in partnership with other professional development efforts.
- Utilizes researched tools and methodologies to design, develop and deliver training and development opportunities, conducts needs assessments to determine development needs; revises and adjusts programs as required; tracks participation and engagement.
- Coordinates with the academic leadership to build cultural competency, best practices in culturally relevant pedagogy in advancing the success of underrepresented students.
Coordinate efforts to infuse inclusive excellence in existing processes, including:
- Collaborates with Director of Human Resources to promote diverse and inclusive recruitment, retention and development strategies for faculty and staff.
- Serves as internal consultant and subject matter expert; consults and provides coaching to CSB/SJU staff and faculty to support strategies required to accomplish Inclusive Excellence goals; stays current on regulatory and professional practice developments.
- Oversees the leadership and direction of student equity and inclusion services to support a multicultural educational experience where diversity and inclusion is valued. Oversees the staff of the Multicultural Center to provide support to diverse students and create educational programs and services focusing on cultural fluency.
- Oversees the Human Rights/bias incident policy, reporting system, and management of the incidents.
- Assists and advised the Human Resource Department in executing the Affirmative Action plan and in matters related to investigations of discrimination, harassment, hostile work environment etc.
- Ensures equity and inclusiveness in formation and revision of CSB/SJU policies.
- Represents the department and CSB/SJU as requested on committees, task forces and community groups; partners with schools, city governments, and social justice organizations in the region to share best practices and build partnerships.
- In collaboration with institutional research staff, conducts a variety of analytical studies; develops and reviews reports of findings, alternatives, and recommendations.
- Assists in the design and content of the Inclusive Excellence Web page; markets programs for participation.
- Collaborates with grants department in seeking, securing, and managing grant funding for Inclusive Excellence efforts.
- Manages the overall staff, operational, budgetary, and financial responsibilities and activities of the department.
Qualifications: Required Qualifications:
- A master's degree from an accredited university.
- Five (5) years of leadership experience related to access, diversity, inclusion education, including fluency and currency with respect to the current best practices in these areas.
- Experience working with diverse populations in a leadership role, including but not limited to race, ancestry, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, socioeconomic status, and physical abilities.
- An excellent record in managing change along with proven experience as an organizational leader and program builder, specifically around initiatives that promote diversity, equity, access, inclusion, and belonging in an educational environment.
- Knowledge of contemporary issues of social justice, inclusion, diversity, access, and equity, including the current scholarship and pedagogical approaches that inform and address these issues.
- Willingness to understand the Catholic intellectual tradition and Benedictine values that guide CSB and SJU.
- Terminal degree from an accredited university.
- A demonstrated cross-cultural competency, including strong emotional intelligence and the ability to engage and build relationships with CSB/SJU constituencies and underrepresented communities.
- A demonstrated ability to lead and cultivate a common vision and collaborative culture to achieve institutional goals.
- A demonstrated ability to effectively problem solve and lead others through transformational change.
- A demonstrated track record developing effective diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- A demonstrated ability to build strong alliances internally and externally with a broad range of individuals to bring the CSB/SJU community together around shared goals.
- A demonstrated ability to articulate in written and verbal form the range of evidence for the educational benefits that accrue to students through diversity, inclusion, and equity in higher education.
- Experience working collaboratively with colleagues at all levels in a large, complex institution, as well as with diverse external communities, to facilitate positive, collaborative, and inclusive processes and initiatives coupled with measurable programmatic deliverables.
- Evidence of strong decision-making and administrative skills.
- Demonstrated ability to envision and conceptualize the diversity mission of an institution through a broad and inclusive definition of diversity.
- Excellent conflict-resolution skills needed to navigate politically charged situations to resolve problems, build consensus, and reconcile competing interests.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, through written as well as interpersonal and group communication skills.
- Respect for liberal arts education, the Catholic tradition and Catholic social justice principles and the relationship with diversity and equity practices.
Applications are accepted online by clicking on "Apply". Candidates are asked to complete the application form and submit a letter of application and resume.
This job has expired.
If you require an accommodation to participate in the CSB/SJU hiring process, please contact Human Resources at (320) 363-2508 or email@example.com.
It is the policy of CSB/SJU to conduct a pre-employment background check. An offer of employment is contingent upon a successful background check. The College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University also utilize E-Verify as part of its onboarding process to confirm work authorization.
The College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University are Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employers.