The Senior Director of Communications and Marketing will provide communications leadership and support for the Office of Academic Affairs and other affiliated units, working with the Executive Vice President and Provost, the Vice Provosts, and the Chief of Staff and collaborating closely with academic and support units across the university. The Senior Director will:
- Develop a multi-pronged, thoughtful plan to advance and celebrate the university's academic mission and impact: the creation of new knowledge and creative expression; teaching, learning and student success; and service.
- Support and advance the Executive Vice President and Provost's key initiatives and priorities, in alignment with university priorities.
- Establish effective, efficient, and consistent internal communications processes and protocols across the Office of Academic Affairs and affiliated units.
- Work in alignment with other communications units across campus, including central University Marketing and Communications, college and school communicators, regional communications leads, and communications efforts within the Office of Research & Innovation and the Wexner Medical Center to ensure that Office of Academic Affairs communications are well coordinated with the university's overall communications efforts.
- Manage a team of integrated communications and marketing professionals.
The Senior Director of Communications [and Marketing] must understand and successfully navigate the unique challenges related to the writing, preparation, and/or delivery of information from or about the Office of Academic Affairs and the academic mission of the university. Reporting to the Chief of Staff, the individual must be an exceptional project manager with the ability to see the big picture and set an overarching strategy, coupled with extreme attention to detail, a high level of organization, and strong written and oral communication skills.
- Creates and implements a strategic communications and marketing program supporting the Office of Academic Affairs that includes a comprehensive and effective internal communications plan for academic programs and initiatives across the office and affiliated units.
- Develops and executes key internal and external messages to communicate the Executive Vice President and Provosts' priorities, projects, and impact to key constituents.
- Manages executive communications for the Executive Vice President and Provost and other members of senior leadership as needed; assesses, triages, and swiftly manages all communications needs; ensures that all Office of Academic Affairs communications are streamlined, managed effectively, produced error-free, and deployed successfully and on schedule.
- Serves as the chief communications counsel to the Provost and senior leaders in the Office of Academic Affairs, and as the central communications lead for the Office of Academic Affairs and the main point of contact to whom all Office of Academic Affairs staff direct their communications needs. Participates in university-wide communications work groups and is the point of contact to whom all external departments direct their communications needs related to the Office of Academic Affairs; serves as the Office of Academic Affairs liaison to University Marketing and Communications.
- Oversees the production of Office of Academic Affairs and Provost communications, including web content, publications, social media, announcements, invitations, talking points, reports, briefing documents, board documents, and other materials. Guides the team that produces materials and messages from draft creation through to distribution of the final product. Talking points and other materials may be initiated at the request of senior leaders within the Office of Academic Affairs or their designees. Ensures timely distribution of Office of Academic Affairs news, events, organizational announcements, and other initiatives.
- Manages content for internal events, including the development of agendas, presentations, videos, external speakers, etcetera for in-person and virtual meetings of all sizes; collaborates with event and meeting management staff on all logistics as needed.
- Provides overall direction for updates, enhancements, and content creation for the Office of Academic Affairs websites and social media channels, identifying and relying on metrics to assess the effectiveness and impact of internal communications. Ensures that emergency communications and process, policy, and procedural documentation are accessible and comprehensible to deans, faculty, and other stakeholders.
- Manages budgets and vendor relationships.
- Master's degree in communications, journalism, or a related field
- 8+ years of professional experience in relevant communications, public relations, higher education, or related roles working with senior executives.
- Proven success in communications for higher education and/or non-profit organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to influence people to meet goals and deadlines, and work collaboratively with senior leadership, faculty, consultants, colleagues, and other constituents.
- Background overseeing production of communication and marketing materials.
- Knowledge of communications best practices including technology.
- Experience leading teams, developing talent, and managing staff.
Technical Skills or Knowledge
- A working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint as well as social media and web tools; ability to create distinctive PowerPoint presentations.
- Proven communications strategist.
- Proven ability to lead and work effectively horizontally and vertically.
- Exceptional project management and organizational skills including the ability to meet external and internal deadlines.
- Outstanding oral and written communications skills for the effective delivery of the Office of Academic Affairs' priorities.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and set priorities.
- Superior knowledge of grammar, punctuation, spelling, and AP style.
- Strong editing and creativity skills.
- Effective problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently with a high degree of initiative.
- Extreme attention to detail.
- Ability to pivot quickly and adapt to evolving priorities.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle complex and sensitive information with discretion.
- Ability to translate previous experiences to a higher education environment with constituencies and locations across the state.
Application to this posting requires a resume and cover letter
The target hiring range for this role is $150,000-$190,000.
Interested applicants can apply by visiting: https://osujoblinks.com/vc3v
The Ohio State University is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other basis under the law. Employment at Ohio State requires the successful completion of a background check.
This job has expired.