GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Reads and interprets production sheets for assigned production work center. Under the supervision of the shift's Lead Cook, prepares food from raw state for a hotel and restaurant-style menu. Follows prescribed recipes and departmental nutritional guidelines. Tests food according to prescribed standards. Adheres to sanitation and safety procedures set by dietary department. Portions and records foods according to established standards to meet Joint Commission requirements and departmental guidelines.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Prepare and cook to order a variety of foods, plan work on orders so that items served together are finished at the same time.
2. Following the guidelines of the assigned work center recipes, participates in the production of a hotel/restaurant-style menu by reading and interpreting production work sheets and recipes for all food produced at the assigned production center for patients' food service.
3. Adheres to departmental safety and sanitation standards to safeguard the well-being of patients and co-workers.
4. Tests food with a thermometer and by smelling and tasting. Trained in use of rationale/whirlwind programs.
5. Portions foods according to departmental-set standards following recorded procedures for maintenance of safe temperatures during holding periods.
6. As required, may be involved in the training programs of new employees and dietetic internship learning experiences.
7. Records daily on the work centers production sheet, the amount of food prepared on the station during the assigned hours.
8. Upholds hospital and departmental policies and procedures at all times.
9. Performs other duties as assigned by the Shift Lead Cook to assure quality patient food.
10. In absence of first cook, assumes responsibility of first cook and performs all duties of first cook.
Required to read and write English in order to understand written instructions and recipes. Writing skills to record on production sheets productively accomplished on an assigned production work center; has an equivalency education of grades 9-12 and one to two years of previous hospital or institutional diversified cooking experience.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
1. Reads and interprets production work sheets and follows hotel and restaurant-style recipes for the preparation of food produced at an assigned production work center.
2. Requires written skill to record on the production work centers production sheet the amount of productivity accomplished during the manning of the center.
3. Tests food with a thermometer and by smelling and tasting to maintain departmental standards for quality assurance and protection of patient from bacteria, chemical and physical food contamination.
4. Portions foods according to standards mandated by JCAHO and Department and assure maintenance of safe temperature to comply with federal, state and city health regulations.
5. Must possess sufficient courtesy and tact to maintain pleasant and cooperative relations with supervisors and co-workers.
6. Knows the operational and sanitizing procedures for all equipment used in producing patient food in the production area.
7. Must be able to follow the directions of the Shift Lead Cook in performing other duties as required or assigned by the Shift Lead Cook to assure quality patient food service.
8. Follows applied food service sanitation standards in maintaining the equipment and production work center during time assigned to the area.
9. May be involved in working with and training new personnel in meal portioning procedures.
10. Under the direction and supervision of shift's Lead Cook, may assist with the replenishing of inventory demands of the assembly tray line forecast distribution truck.
11. In conjunction with, and supervised by the Shift Lead Cook, contributes to the manufacturing of ethnic, blended, low sodium, low fat special needs patient meals.
12. Upholds hospital and departmental policies and procedures at all times.
Works in production work centers where there are physical discomforts due to noise levels from machinery operation, slippery floors, overflowing of floor drains, live steam from kettles and steamers, and caustic chemicals in an environment two stories below ground level. Required to constantly enter freezers and refrigerators with a temperature variance from -20 to +40 F.
Brigham and Women's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
Posted about 6 hours ago
Burlington, North Carolina
Posted about 6 hours ago
Posted about 6 hours ago
Subscribe to job alerts and add your resume to our resume database for employers!