Here at AstraZeneca you'll have the opportunity to make a difference in people's lives every day. As one of the world's premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease. As a Scientist/Senior Scientist in the Virology and Vaccines Discovery group in the Early Vaccines and Immune Therapies (Early V&I) unit in Gaithersburg, MD, you'll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives.
The Virology and Vaccines Discovery group at AstraZeneca is discovering and developing biologics and vaccines targeting key viral pathogens, in particular respiratory viruses. We are consistently pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients. Our deep expertise in vaccines and immunology enables our ability to advance novel therapeutic approaches and technologies to prevent and treat infectious disease. We have an industry-leading pipeline and offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family.
Currently, we are seeking a highly motivated and broadly skilled bench scientist with scientific and technical expertise in molecular virology and a track record of scientific achievement to join the Virology and Vaccines Discovery group at AstraZeneca in Gaithersburg, MD. The Scientist will be a key member of a growing team focused on developing next-generation vaccines and antiviral therapeutics. The position requires a strong interest in laboratory bench work and driving projects forward.
AstraZeneca has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent.
- Conduct in vitro experiments to support the development of biologics and vaccines targeting viral pathogens of interest including respiratory viruses.
- Perform a range of in vitro experiments to evaluate vaccine immunogenicity and/or assess potency of antiviral therapies against clinically relevant pathogens (experience with in vivo models a plus).
- Conduct antiviral assays, selecting for resistant viral variants and applying molecular virology techniques to advance programs.
- Propagate and maintain virus stocks (knowledge of virus reverse genetics systems a plus)
- Work collaboratively with colleagues across the organization (e.g. protein engineering, bioinformatics, pathology, and translational medicine) to drive projects towards successful completion.
- Make detailed observations, analyze data, and interpret results independently.
- Preparation of precise technical summaries, protocols, quantitative analyses, and maintenance of appropriate documentation.
- Contribute to publishing of discoveries in high quality, peer-reviewed journals.
- B.S. or M.S. in Virology, Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Immunology, Cell Biology, or related scientific discipline with 2+ years of experience or
- M.S. in Virology, Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Immunology, Cell Biology, or related scientific discipline.
Broad experience required in virology, molecular biology and/or immunology.
- Extensive cell biology background with experience in tissue culture techniques and culture of primary and immortalized cells for ex vivo assays.
- Experience working with RNA viruses in mammalian cell culture; knowledge and/or experience with virus reverse genetics systems is a plus.
- Knowledge of molecular biology techniques such as cloning, site-direct mutagenesis, DNA isolation and purification, RT-PCR, and qPCR.
- Experience in recombinant virus generation and culture.
- Experience with in vivo models to evaluate vaccine immunogenicity and/or assess potency of antiviral therapies is desired.
- Mastery of flow cytometry, fluorescent imaging of cells, measurement of protein production, etc. is desired.
- Experience with automation is desired.
- Strong interpersonal and collaborative skills together with evidence of having used these to support problem solving and delivery in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Ability to work in a collaborative, fast-paced environment while planning and meeting timelines.
- Proven track record of success in your research and experience preparing written scientific reports (e.g., manuscripts) and oral presentations (e.g., slides, posters).
- Ability to multitask and prioritize numerous different projects.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Must be able to understand, conduct and interpret results of technically challenging experiments with minimum supervision.Supervision
: Ability to work independently as well as part of team is expected.
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience.Why AstraZeneca?
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognising their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we're opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.So, what's next!
Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available and we hope it's yours.Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.
This job has expired.