The Department of Pathology is seeking a Research Technologist who will work under general supervision, and will perform clinical and/or research laboratory experiments by following established procedures and protocols or with instruction.
This role uses basic science knowledge to learn techniques/methods of the lab. Runs lab tests and completes measurements as assigned. Identifies and resolves common problems and uses analytical skills to implement assigned projects. Understands the role of senior lab members and accepts constructive guidance. Sets-up experiments based on defined standards. Collects and maintains project data.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Performs clinical and/or research lab tests and experiments. Follows established procedures and protocols, utilize appropriate techniques to perform laboratory tests and/or experiments
- Exchanges routine information in an appropriate manner requiring good oral and written communication. Regular interaction with students, vendors, post-doctoral fellows, faculty members, and other clinical fellows.
- Responsible for routine operational activities such as; ordering supplies and materials, reviewing inventory, maintaining up to date records of tests, etc. Preventative maintenance of equipment.
- Performs miscellaneous related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Biological Sciences, Chemistry, or related field required.
* Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date. Preferred Qualifications:
- Master's Degree.
- Some related post-undergraduate work experience.
- Some related research laboratory experience strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of good lab practices required.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may remain in a stationary position (sitting or standing) up 80% of the time.
- Occasionally required to traverse throughout the laboratory or to retrieve equipment, supplies, or specimens from other locations on campus.
- The employee is required to operate computer keyboard, laboratory instruments, and small laboratory tools such as pipettes, cutting instruments, glass tubes, dishes, and/or slides.
- Constantly repositions self to perform duties at laboratory work stations, gathering specimens, and loading equipment.
- Prolonged vision requirements including viewing computer screen, paper reports/documents, charts and results. Visual acuity is required to distinguish fine gradation of color or structure and closely examine specimens (including via a microscope).
- May transport equipment and supplies usually less than 40 pounds from one area to another (in the laboratory or on campus).
- May be required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds with proper training, or precautions/lifting aides (example: supply boxes or Formalin cubes). In some areas work space is limited.
- Exposure to toxins and infectious agents exist, but potential for personal injury or harm is minimized if established safety and health precautions are followed.
- Must refer to and are expected to comply with procedure manuals, follow proper laboratory protocols and safety policy/procedures, and be familiar with material data safety sheets in assigned work areas.
- Able to read and understand all Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) guidelines applicable to assigned work area.
- Working in laboratory where there may be discomforts due to odors, noise, temperature fluctuations, and working around lab equipment.
- Research areas may include animal, human, human products, DNA, radiation protocols, and other bio-hazardous materials. Use of personal protective equipment may be advised or required.
- Staff may be required to complete annual competency review, and must insure compliance with Johns Hopkins Policy, Laboratory Policy & Procedure, Health, Safety & Environment regulations, and all applicable privacy & confidentiality laws/practices.
- Many department laboratories operate 24/7 with schedules on day, evening, or night shift.
- Rotating schedules which may include weekend work and holiday assignment. (Overtime possible when authorized/needed to meet business and patient needs).
Classified Title: Research Technologist
Starting Salary Range: $15.00 - $20.00/hr (commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F 8:30am-5:00pm
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: School of Medicine Campus
Department name: SOM Pat Clinical Chemistry
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com
. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/
and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/
.The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled. EEO is the Law
Learn more:https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdfTo apply, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Baltimore-Research-Technologist-MD-21287/822574400/
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
This job has expired.