Meta was built to help people connect and share, and over the last decade our tools have played a critical part in changing how people around the world communicate with one another. With over a billion people using the service and more than fifty offices around the globe, a career at Meta offers countless ways to make an impact in a fast growing organization.Meta is seeking Research Interns to join our Content Understanding team within its "Modern Recommendation Systems" (MRS) AI Innovation Center. This org brings together a world-class R&D team of researchers, developers, and engineers. The MRS org is developing a unified infrastructure and model service to improve recommendations across Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp, the "Family of Apps" (FoA). Our interns will have the opportunity to perform research on and even build AI models that will eventually run at the scale of Meta's social network.The Content Understanding team's vision is to understand multi-modal content, especially videos, as well as people do. We contribute to the mission of connecting users to the content they enjoy, are inspired by, and that they want to see more of. We conduct cutting-edge research using the complete suite of audio, visual, text and metadata signals associated with posts and videos to improve recommendation relevance across all surfaces and provide a better, more meaningful experience to users. We build tools, create frameworks and train models that we deploy together with product and infrastructure teams to gain adoption across the FoA. We also publish scientific papers to help advance the state of the art in content understanding.Our internships are twelve (12) to sixteen (16), or twenty-four (24) weeks long and we have various start dates throughout the year.
Research Scientist Intern, Modern Recommendation Systems (PhD) Responsibilities:
- Initiate and lead efforts towards long-term ambitious research goals, while identifying intermediate milestones in the area of video understanding and multi-modal (video, audio, and text) analysis for classification and relevance use cases
- Conduct original research that can eventually be applied to Meta product development, engage with the wider research community, including publishing and releasing open source software where appropriate
- Design, train and support video understanding libraries and models to implement new features and functionality for use internally at Meta
- Currently has or is in the process of obtaining a Ph.D. degree in Computer Science or a related field
- Must obtain work authorization in the country of employment at the time of hire and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment
- Experience with Python, with experience in machine learning libraries such as TensorFlow and Pytorch
- Familiarity with sequence modeling techniques (e.g., LSTM, GRU, Transformers)
- Intent to return to the degree program after the completion of the internship/co-op
- Proven track record of achieving significant results as demonstrated by grants, fellowships, patents, as well as publications at leading workshops or conferences such as NeurIPS, ICLR, KDD, ICML, SIGIR, WSDM, RecSys, CIKM, CVPR, ECCV, ACL, EMNLP, ICASSP, or similar
- Experience working and communicating cross functionally in a team environment
- Prior research or project experience in sequence modeling, recommendation systems, or user modeling
- Demonstrated software engineer experience via an internship, work experience, coding competitions, or widely used contributions in open source repositories (e.g. GitHub).
Meta builds technologies that help people connect, find communities, and grow businesses. When Facebook launched in 2004, it changed the way people connect. Apps like Messenger, Instagram and WhatsApp further empowered billions around the world. Now, Meta is moving beyond 2D screens toward immersive experiences like augmented and virtual reality to help build the next evolution in social technology. People who choose to build their careers by building with us at Meta help shape a future that will take us beyond what digital connection makes possible today-beyond the constraints of screens, the limits of distance, and even the rules of physics.
Meta is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Meta participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law. Please note that Meta may leverage artificial intelligence and machine learning technologies in connection with applications for employment.
This job has expired.
Meta is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com.