Core Data Science (CDS) is a research and development team, working to improve Meta's products, infrastructure, and processes. We generate real-world impact through a combination of scientific rigor and methodological innovation. Our focus is on longer-term, foundational work that addresses new opportunities and challenges across the Meta family of apps. The work we do enhances the Meta family of apps that enable billions of people to communicate with each other daily. Core Data Science is interdisciplinary, with expertise in computer science, statistics, machine learning, economics, political science, operations research, and sociology, among many other fields. This diversity of perspectives enriches our research and expands the scope and scale of projects we can address. We deliver value through collaborative projects with other groups at Meta and with the academic community. In addition, we build and open-source technical products aligned with our areas of expertise. Our team's mission, within CDS, is to understand and improve the value of Meta products for society. This position will be part of an initiative on our team to understand, measure, and improve how Meta products provide economic opportunity and value to users.
Research Scientist Intern, Computational Social Science Research (PhD) Responsibilities:
- Design and execute research that uses cutting-edge computational and quantitative methods to advance the scientific understanding of questions related to Meta's impact on society
- Work with large amounts of data in service of concrete conclusions and actionable insights
- Communicate complex technical topics and nuanced insights to diverse audiences
- Learn new tools and languages quickly as required by the project you are working on, with tasks ranging from data processing to production engineering, modeling, machine learning and experimentation
- Work both independently and collaboratively with other scientists, engineers, designers, UX researchers, and product managers to accomplish complex tasks that deliver demonstrable value to Meta's community of over 3 billion people
- Think creatively, proactively, and futuristically to identify new opportunities within Meta's long-term roadmap for data-scientific contributions
- Currently has, or is in the process of obtaining a PhD, in Computer Science, Economics, Statistics or a related field
- Experience with statistical methods and computational approaches (e.g. machine learning, social network analysis), and experience solving analytical problems using such techniques.
- 1+ years working with manipulating and analyzing complex, high-volume, high-dimensionality data from varying sources
- Experience with empirical research and track record of answering hard questions with data
- An analytical approach to research that allows for results at varying levels of precision
- Experience communicating complex quantitative analysis in a clear, precise, and actionable manner
- 2+ years of experience with data analysis language such as R or Python
- Experience using relational databases and SQL
- Interpersonal experience: cross-group and cross-culture collaboration
- Must obtain work authorization in country of employment at the time of hire and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment
- Intent to return to degree-program after the completion of the internship/co-op
- 1+ years experience in NLP
- Fluency in a scripting language such as Python, or software engineering experience.
- 2+ years working with common machine learning algorithms
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com.
This job has expired.