The Department of Neurosurgery is seeking a Research Assistant to support faculty and research staff with the day-to-day logistical and operational tasks for The Chiari Malformation Clinical Research Center. Under the supervision of the Clinical Trials Manager and PIs, the Research Assistant will perform data collection in support of the investigators and collaborators in the research environment. The Research Assistant will interact with the investigators, collaborators, and patients in a research environment. The position will support participant recruitment, retention and data collection for patients seeking care for Chiari Malformation at Johns Hopkins.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
The Research Assistant position will support the research team in administrative and reporting duties including preparing for meetings, maintaining a good working knowledge of all assigned protocols and reporting requirements, and record keeping (including maintaining the decision log to track changes to the implementation plan and/or performance metrics). The position will attend and help facilitate regular meetings. The position will also support the project team in meeting deliverables (e.g., compiling, preparing and submitting quarterly reports).
- Maintain a good working knowledge of all assigned studies.
- Follow all study Institutional Review Board (IRB) approved protocols and procedures.
- Comply with all regulatory and institutional requirements related to clinical research. Maintain compliance with HIPAA and IRB regulations and guidelines.
- Obtain and maintain certification of in Good Clinical Practice (GCP), Human Subjects Research (HSR), HIPAA, and patient assessments. Certification will be completed as part of the onboarding process.
- Perform administrative duties in support of the Neurosurgery Clinical Trials Group.
- Provide telephone and correspondence management.
- Schedule meetings, create meeting agendas, and record meeting minutes
- Maintain filing system for electronic and paper-based research records for each participant enrolled in the clinical studies to ensure compliance with HIPAA and IRB regulations and guidelines.
- Actively update supervising program manager and/or investigators on participant enrollment and data collection status via verbal and written communication.
- Take initiative in anticipating and responding to staff and research participants' needs based on awareness of routine and repeated job functions.
- Maintain high level of motivation for job functions with positive attitude.
- Attend regular research group meetings (weekly or monthly).
- Carry out duties and responsibilities with limited supervision, but seek clarification when needed.
- Effectively prioritize and work on multiple tasks with concurrent deadlines and demonstrate excellent time management skills and efficiency.
- Regularly update clinical and research staff, verbally and in writing, of progress with job functions.
- Other duties as assigned by the Clinical Trials Manager, PI, or lead coordinator of the project.
- Participate in other research initiatives as workload allows. Perform miscellaneous related duties as assigned.
The following are examples of responsibilities that may be required on assigned studies. Actual responsibilities will vary depending on study assignments.
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Participate in data collection and organization of multiple studies. Perform data entry and data editing. Collect data via extraction from paper and electronic medical records.
- Maintain and complete protocol specific patient records and Case Report Forms (CRF).
- Maintain confidential records of required source documentation on each assigned research subject on protocol.
- Maintain specimen logs and coordinate laboratory specimen processing and handling with appropriate lab supervisors.
- Maintain multiple electronic regulatory documents files.
- Assist with basic data management tasks such as running queries on existing databases, organizing and editing data, conducting reliability checks.
- Assist the research nurse with aspects of participant recruitment including identifying appropriate patients and participant calls to schedule or provide reminders of their appointments.
- Will call participants with reminders of their appointments, post appointments to research calendars, and maintain logs of patient screening, surveys and visits, and compile mailings.
- Work with the Research Program Coordinator in preparing and organizing data collection materials for participant visits, conducting the study visits, and collecting biological specimens. Compile test batteries, participant charts, and mailings.
- Obtain informed consent from eligible patients. May occasionally be needed after hours or on weekends.
- Administer standardized surveys and neuropsychological assessments to research participants or their proxies via phone, or during clinic visits. May occasionally be needed after hours or on weekends.
- Maintain logs of patient screening, surveys and visits.
- Assist the MRI technician in the acquisition of MRI scans and assist with the transfer, storage, and cataloging of imaging data.
- Assist the radiologist with reviewing participant scans for data entry.
- Assist with submission of documents to the IRB.
* JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for the required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job. ** Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date. Preferred Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree required and some related experience.
- Additional education may substitute for required experience and additional related experience may substitute for required education, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.*
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Advanced computer skills and word-processing, spreadsheet and database knowledge.
- Experience with data management and analysis.
- Proficient in use of IBM and MAC computers; previous basic office experience ideal as the use of basic office machines (fax, phones, copier, etc).
- Intermediate computer experience (knowledge of Microsoft Office is essential).
- Must maintain current certification in all applicable JHU required training classes.
- Uses various software applications, such as spreadsheets, word processing and relational databases.
- Operates personal computer to access email, electronic calendars, and other basic office support software.
- They must be flexible to shifting priorities and responsibilities in the program.
- They need to have outstanding verbal and written communication, and the ability to interact well with collaborators, investigators, study subjects, and staff.
- It is critical that this assistant be able to work both independently with modest direction and as part of a team.
- Reliability, flexibility, professional manner, and organizational skills are essential.
- They must have excellent attention to detail and record keeping.
- They have to be able to problem solve, prioritize responsibilities, and manage several priorities at once.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to walk to multiple areas of campus.
- Ability to lift research bind.
Classified Title: Research Assistant
Starting Salary Range: $16.42 - $22.57/hr (commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: School of Medicine Campus
Department name: SOM Neuro Sur Pediatrics
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com
. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/
and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/
.The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled. EEO is the Law
Learn more:https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdfTo apply, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Baltimore-Research-Assistant-MD-21287/823016000/
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
This job has expired.