The Department of Biomedical Engineering is seeking an experienced Research Technician who is needed to manage daily operations of research laboratory developing novel DNA/RNA/protein sequencing technology tools.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- We are seeking qualified individuals to support research projects in sequencing technology development.
- The primary focus of the lab is the development and application of DNA, RNA, and protein sequencing technologies using computational and experimental techniques.
- Work requires basic use of scientific method, procedures and techniques; though training will be provided, previous experience/training is preferred.
- Basic understanding of theory behind experiments and application of basic analytical skills will be used to implement assigned projects, and to identify and troubleshoot situations needing special attention.
- Primarily, the position involves following established procedures or protocols and using sterile technique to perform laboratory tests and/or experiments including but not limited to: DNA/RNA extraction, PCR, qPCR, bisulfite next-generation sequencing, single molecule sequencing technologies, chromatin immunoprecipitation, gel electrophoresis and imaging, confocal and widefield fluorescent microscopy, cell culture, microfluidic construction, and electrophysiology single-channel measurement.
- Contributes to general maintenance of the laboratory, equipment and supplies.
- Prepares solutions, reagents, and stains following standard lab formulas and procedures.
- Operates basic and advanced laboratory equipment including centrifuge, fluorescence microscope, incubator, spectrophotometer, light microscope, laminar flow hood, next-generation sequencer, thermal cycler, quantitative PCR instrument, ultrasonic shearing device.
- Utilizes aseptic technique to culture eukaryotic and bacterial cell lines.
- Maintains and makes minor adjustments to equipment, e.g. calibrating, alignment.
- Monitors inventory levels, orders materials and supplies in accordance with established policies and procedures, counts orders upon receipt.
- Bachelor's Degree in Biology, Chemistry or related field.
* Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date. Preferred Qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree in Biomedical Engineering, Biophysics preferred.
- Some related post-undergraduate work experience and/or Master's degree preferred.
- Proficiency in laboratory methods/techniques associated with biochemistry, analytical chemistry, basic cellular and molecular biology, and physical chemistry preferred. Experience with Linux, R, and/or Python in a bioinformatics context preferred but not required.
- Excellent time management, communication, and organizational skills are required, as position requires extensive multi-tasking.
- Experience planning, executing, and troubleshooting projects preferred.
Classified Title: Research Technologist
Working Title: Research Technician
Starting Salary Range: $15.00 - $20.00/hr (commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday through Friday
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: Homewood Campus
Department name: Department of Biomedical Engineering
Personnel area: Whiting School of Engineering
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/
and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/
.The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled. EEO is the Law
Learn more:https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdfTo apply, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Baltimore-Reseach-Technician-MD-21218/820997300/
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
This job has expired.