The Novelis Finishing plant located in Davenport, IA has an immediate opening for a Quality Technician. This position has varying rolls in the Quality Assurance Department. Areas of concentration include Customer Service, Product Auditor, Process Auditor, System Auditor, Product and Process Analysis, Document Control and Trial coordination for metallurgical analysis and for the classification of raw materials (chiefly scrap aluminum). The information produced is used to formulate and optimize cost and quality tradeoffs in the scrap mix. It is also used to gauge the reliability of vendors and efficiency of purchasing efforts.
Responsibilities & Qualifications
- Works in accordance with Lean policies and procedures established by Aleris, Davenport Casting. Maintains a high level of 5S.
- Assists production and operating personnel in solving production problems related to process or product quality conformance.
- Communicates key daily, weekly, monthly, quality and production numbers.
- Perform experiments or special tests involved in research and development projects.
- Maintains Customer Information (CIS - reroll information), Mechanical and Coating Property databases, and other Excel spreadsheets and Access databases.
- Completes product and process audits, with improvement recommendations.
- Coordinates trials to include setup, running and analysis of results.
- Maintains document control system including work instructions, policies, and Raw Material Inspection reports.
- Operates and Maintains all lab equipment (i.e. centrifuge, profilometer, FTIR, Spectrometer, Moisture Analyzer, etc.) in order to provide accurate chemical analysis and other operation parameter testing.
- Is a resource to all production departments related to quality information. Supports operational efforts through data analysis, testing, and project coordination.
- Assists Quality Manager with incoming materials downgrade and rejection assessments of raw material and insures the reroll product conforms to specifications.
- Performs internal ISO quality audits and other audits as assigned.
- Handles the disposal of hazardous lab waste.
- Operate Optical Emission Spectrometer, compatible P.C. and other laboratory equipment in order to provide accurate chemical and analytical reports.
- Performs preventative maintenance on laboratory equipment to include calibration, profile, and regression adjustments on spectrometer.
- Performs chemical analysis and inspection of all raw materials received as well as shredded materials. Takes the lead on inspection of dump loads of scrap and segregated loads of raw material.
- Assists the Receiving dock with inspections and leads the effort on re-inspections looking for contaminants.
- Work collaboratively with Maintenance and Engineering departments to support initiatives and activities for reliable people, processes, and equipment.
- Analytical skills and the ability to make logical, sound and timely decision within established limits of authority is essential to this position.
- Mathematics and algebra in calculating concentrations, percentages, metric conversions, etc. Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
- Ability to compute ratios and percentages and interpret charts and graphs
- Utilizes basic mechanical and electrical aptitude in interpreting equipment and performs routine as well as maintenance level repair and calibration of test apparatus.
- Statistical models to establish control charts and compile sample data for documentation and reporting.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety policies and procedures, HR policies, standard work documents, maintenance instructions, procedure manuals, etc.
- Effective written and oral communications skills.
- Maintains a balance between professional and personal relationships with one's employees and interacts appropriately with all levels.
- Presents a positive image of Aleris to those inside and outside the company. Behaves in a professional manner, consistent with the Aleris Values and Ethical Policy. A positive role model.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment.
- Highly motivated, goal oriented, and challenge driven.
- Strong decision making and problem solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to function with minimal supervision and the discretion to know when to involve upper management.
The finishing mill in Davenport opened in 1906 and employees more than 100 people. The facility cold rolls aluminum to a desired gauge anneals to temper levels coats and slits the rolled sheet to size. The facility produces mill finish coil and painted coil to serve the building and construction industry. Davenport Finishing has an active social responsibility committee that supports many organizations in the local community including Habitat for Humanity Riverbend Food Bank CASI and more. The facility also sponsors local events including their partnership with Junior Achievement in sponsoring and presenting at the Advanced Manufacturing Career Day.
Novelis recognizes its talented and diverse workforce as a key competitive advantage. Novelis provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants. All terms and conditions of employment at Novelis, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoffs, recalls, transfers, leaves of absence, compensation and training, are without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law