At Facebook Reality Labs (FRL), our goal is to make great consumer virtual, augmented, and mixed reality experiences that will transform how we work, play, and communicate. Come work alongside world class scientists and engineers to create the technology that makes VR and AR pervasive and universal. Join the adventure of a lifetime as we make science fiction real and change the world.
We are currently seeking for a Waveguide Design Manager to lead our computational infrastructure and design team. The candidate will manage a team of managers with innovative optical scientists and engineers responsible for designing and modeling physical optical elements that are robust to manufacturing tolerances. The position will be responsible end-to-end for our design activities from research concepts through design-for-manufacturing. This is a full-time position and requires an advanced degree in optical engineering, physics, or similar, and a strong background in physical optics design and computational techniques. Successful candidates must be comfortable working in and leading a dynamic cross-functional team.
- Working with our lead technologies and team leads, set a vision for your organization.
- Establish and deploy methodologies appropriate for bringing new-to-world optical components to market.
- Working with the team to establish strategies to optimize new concepts, architectures, and technologies used in Near-Eye Displays (NEDs), projectors, cameras and sensors for manufacturing scale. This will require fundamental understanding of underlying principles across a variety of areas that may include: physical optics, meta- technologies, integrated optics, structured light, depth sensing, polarization optics, optical system design and optical metrology.
- Ensuring work class modeling and prototyping of critical technologies to drive system performance across manufacturing tolerances and to validate achievable and robust experience.
- Working cross-functionally to ensure process and material limitations are comprehended and understood.
- Managing team health and working with the team members on their career path.
- Mentor cross-functionally growing members of the broader organization.
- Scaling of emerging concepts in imaging systems and optical systems in support of NEDs productization.
- Support evaluation and characterization of optical components, and system integration.
- Collaborate with the larger research team to explore concepts, perform trades and drive optical system development to create compelling experiences.
- Manage a team of managers. Responsibilities include meeting weekly with each team member, providing career planning guidance, and performing semi-annual performance reviews.
- Master's degree in the field of Optical Sciences, Physics, Electrical Engineering, or similar.
- 5+ years experience in applied research and/or product development of optics or photonic systems.
- 5+ years experience maturing technology from proof of concept to early low volume prototypes.
- 5+ years of management experience in an R&D or relevant manufacturing or pilot environment.
- Interpersonal experience: cross-group and cross-culture collaboration.
- Experience working without direction and managing a project from start to finish.
- PhD in the field of Optical Sciences, Physics, Electrical Engineering, or similar.
- 5+ years of experience with optics technologies with one or more of the following: illumination, radiometry/photometry, stray light analysis, physical optics, imaging, diffractive optics.
- 2+ years of experience with laboratory work in setting up of optical systems, experience with methods and tools for fabrication of physical optics.
- 2+ years of experience with design optical tools and methods such as FRED, ASAP, Zemax, CODE V, or leveraging RCWA or FDTD.
- Experience with FDTD or RCWA modeling.
- Experience with fundamentals in one or more of the disciplines: optical scattering modeling and measurement, polarization optics, optical system design, physical optics, meta-structures and optical metrology.
- Experience managing managers in either a research, development or manufacturing setting.
- Proven track record of achieving significant results as demonstrated by product launches, grants, fellowships, patents, or first-authored publications at leading workshops or conferences such as Applied Optics, Optics Letters, Optics Express, and relevant SIGGRAPH, SID, OSA, SPIE or similar.
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.