The Meta Reality Labs brings together a world-class team to create the future of AR and VR, and the metaverse, which will become as universal and essential as smartphones and personal computers are today. The Cameras & Sensors (C&S) team gathers top-notch expertise and talent in photographic and machine vision cameras, imaging sensors, and depth, inertial, and bio sensing systems, and owns the development and validation for all these sensing systems across the whole AR, VR, and Portal product portfolios.We are looking for an Optical Research Scientist to innovate designs at the forefront of custom sensing technology, to enable breakthrough new 3D sensing architectures delivering the best-in-class performance in small form factors and ultra-low power systems. The ideal candidate is enthusiastic about exploring and tackling new optical architectures and sometimes ambiguous technical challenges, is engaged in deep collaboration across internal and external teams of passionate technologists that result in detailed depth sensor analyses, critical tradeoff evaluations, and sensor architectural execution strategies.The scope of this role in the depth system architecture team will focus on researching, creating, specifying, and developing optical technologies to achieve high-end depth system performance in very constrained area and power efficiency requirements in the AR and VR space.
Optical Research Scientist Responsibilities:
- Explore, propose, and develop innovative optical architectures and solutions for 3D sensing applications meeting stringent size and power efficiency constraints, targeting Meta's leading-edge AR and VR devices
- Research, identify, and develop critical optical components and subsystems for 3D sensing
- Carry out optical design and modeling of critical component technologies to meet system requirements
- Run simulations to predict system performance and power, and validate system tradeoffs
- Collaborate with internal and external partners to prototype and validate the designs towards size, weight, performance, and cost targets
- Travel both domestically and internationally up to 10% of the time
- PhD degree in the field of optical science/engineering, electrical engineering, physics, or a related field. Exceptions can be made to candidates with proven industry experience in these areas
- 3+ years of experience working on optical technologies in areas such as imaging and illumination systems, laser sources, polarization optics, integrated optics
- Familiar with optical depth sensing techniques
- Experience with optical design using standard design software such as Lumerical, FRED, LightTools, Zemax, or CODE V
- Experience in radiometry and optical detection, laser beam propagation, and beam shaping
- Experience with hands-on laboratory work in characterizing laser sources, optical components, and optical system
- Experience in scientific computing software (e.g., MATLAB, Python, etc.)
- Experience communicating clearly and working effectively in a collaborative team
- Knowledge of and experience in laser light generation, propagation, manipulation, and detection
- Experience in designing, modeling, prototyping, characterization of critical optical components and sub-system for optical sensing applications
- Proven track record of achieving significant results as demonstrated by first-authored publications, grants, fellowships, or patents
- Experience transferring technology from research into a shipping product
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This job has expired.