Job ID: 2113728
Location: HOUSTON , TX , US
Date Posted: 2021-09-14
Category: Wage Determination (SCA)
Subcategory: Service Contract Act
Shift: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Minimum Clearance Required: None
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Public Trust
Potential for Remote Work: No
SAIC has an immediate need for a Lead Cable Plant Technician to support the NASA Integrated Communications Services (NICS) contract at NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas. The NICS contract provides high quality integrated communications services for secure voice, video and data solutions and services to NASA customers worldwide. This role includes installing cable plant cabling and infrastructure, terminating copper and fiber optic cables, troubleshooting different types of cabling issues, and other operational duties while adhering to strict safety guidelines. Candidate should be proficient at developing and interpreting technical diagrams, and communicating with customers. Candidate should be accustomed to managing a team of cable plant techs, work orders, trouble tickets, and updating project documentation.
- Installation of category 5e, 6, and 6A cabling and SM/MM fiber optic cabling
- Installation of cabling pathways and telecom room infrastructure including j-hooks, ladder, racks, cabinets, and wall fields.
- Labeling and documenting cabling and pathways
- Performing certification testing on Fiber and Copper Cables
- Managing cable plant supplies and inventory
- Troubleshooting of category, copper, and fiber optic cabling
- Termination of copper cables including 110 and 66M
- Cross connect of circuits on fiber optic cables
- Adhere to OSHA, NASA, Company, and customer safety requirements.
- Testing and troubleshooting of fiber optic cables to include the use of power meters and optical time domain reflectometers
- Termination of fiber optic cabling using fusion splice pigtails and Unicam connectors
- Completing site surveys
- Creating cable plant designs and documentation for installation by others
- Monitoring and responding to online ticketing system for work orders and incidents
- Working with subcontractors and providing materials and support for larger projects
- Update cable plant documentation in an online system
Required Education and Experience:
- 5+ years of inside and outside cable plant experience working with fiber optic, copper, and category cabling.
- 2 yrs. managing other technicians
- Advanced troubleshooting skills
- Ability to interpret construction drawings and specifications
- Ability to identify different colors and telecom color codes
- Communication skills with the ability to successfully collaborate with other members of the team
- Ability to work flexible hours, i.e., weekends or late afternoons and evenings.
- Lifting of heavy objects of up to 50 pounds
Desired Skills / Experiences:
- Familiar with Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Visio
- Ability to become Asbestos Class III certified for working in ceiling spaced that contain asbestos containing materials (ACM); no abatement.
- Fundamental knowledge of voice, video, data, and wireless network technologies (e.g., LAN/WAN, Wireless, VoIP, Physical security, Video conferencing)
- Knowledge of the National Electrical Code (NEC) and its applications in the telecommunications field.
- Knowledge of TIA industry standard cabling standards and BICSI best practices
- Experience with fiber optic cable fusion-splicing techniques
- Ability to obtain public trust
Certifications / Training:
- BICSI Technician (Tech) Certification - highly desirable
Travel (if any):
- Occasional (<5%) greater than 20 miles
COVID Policy: Prospective and/or new employees will be required to adhere with SAIC's vaccination policy. Full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work onsite at an SAIC location. If applicable, prospective or new employees may seek an exemption to the vaccination requirement at Contact Us
and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Employees working onsite at a customer location must comply with customer requirements which may include mandatory vaccination, mandatory attestation regarding one's vaccination status and mandatory weekly or bi-weekly testing.
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's modernization and readiness challenges. Our offerings across defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets include high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission outcomes. We integrate the best components from our portfolio with our partner's ecosystem to deliver innovative and effective solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, VA, SAIC has annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For information, visit saic.com
or Working at SAIC
for benefits details. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer empowering people no matter their race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status. We strive to create a diverse, inclusive and respectful work culture that values all.
This job has expired.