Are you looking to join an organization that is growing and dynamic? What about a high-energy, collaborative environment that rewards hard work?
J.S. Held is a global consulting firm that combines technical, scientific, financial, and strategic expertise to advise clients seeking to realize value and mitigate risk. Our professionals serve as trusted advisors to organizations facing high stakes matters demanding urgent attention, staunch integrity, proven experience, clear-cut analysis, and an understanding of both tangible and intangible assets. The firm provides a comprehensive suite of services, products, and data that enable clients to navigate complex, contentious, and often catastrophic situations.
The Team And Job Summary
We are seeking a Meteorology Consultant to join our Meteorology team, which primarily focuses in the field of Forensic Meteorology. Forensic Meteorology is the study of historical weather events at precise locations during specific weather events and forming scientific opinions, then writing extensive reports based on peer-reviewed or otherwise commonly accepted meteorological methods. The consultant must be able to testify honestly, correctly, and confidently while under oath and intense scrutiny regarding opinions and findings.
This is a unique opportunity for an entrepreneurial, highly driven, demonstrated meteorology expert with a well-rounded skill set, thick skin, highly confident and self-motivated persona whose responsibilities extend beyond those of traditional meteorologists.
This job is in the United States. A qualified candidate will reside in the United States and be intimately familiar with, operationally (and demonstrably) experienced with an extensive range weather condition, including tropical cyclones, flood events, storm surge, hail, thunderstorms, downbursts, squall lines, blizzards, snow, ice, tornadoes, extreme temperatures, and alike. as well as an understanding United States geography and have a working familiarity with global geography and culture. This job will require frequent interaction and collaboration with experts in other professions. The candidate must be a team player and have a proven track record of performing high-quality work with little supervision, while being able to communicate confidently and effectively in critical situations.
To be considered for this position, a candidate must actively demonstrate (upon interview) their ability to:
- Reconstruct specific weather conditions for specific locations and times, using historic weather patterns.
- Determine the role weather conditions played in different types of events or losses, to provide reports that allow clients to make decisions.
- Independently communicate weather information clearly, confidently, and truthfully in public settings, including under intense scrutiny, as well as under oath.
- Procure and read climatological data to decode weather alerts and observation reports, including Meteorological Aviation Reports (METARs).
- Interpret weather radar signatures, including dual-polarization technology. Understanding the strengths and limitations of each radar product is key.
- Interpreting weather satellite data.
- Procure and analyze weather information in data-sparse locations.
- Ability to read and interpret atmospheric profiles, including a Skew-T, Log-P diagram, and VAD Wind Profiles.
- Ability and willingness to continue to learn and research meteorological techniques.
- Ability to work well with a team of highly qualified meteorological experts, as well as experts of other professions.
At least six (6) years of operational meteorology forecasting experience. Must have significant operational experience with at least three (3) of the following types of weather events:
- A bachelor's degree in meteorology or atmospheric science. The degree plan must have included:
- At least 24 semester (36 quarter) hours of credits in physics-based meteorology/atmospheric science including a minimum of:
- Six semester hours of atmospheric dynamics and thermodynamics
- Six semester hours of analysis and prediction of weather systems
- Three semester hours of physical meteorology
- Three semester hours of weather radar/satellite course(s)
- Six semester hours of physics, with at least one course that includes laboratory sessions.
- Six semester hours of calculus and/or ordinary differential equations
- Tropical Cyclones (including accompanying severe weather, such as tornadoes and flooding/storm surge)
- Severe Thunderstorms (Hail/Wind/Tornadoes)
- Non-Convective Windstorms
- Mountain Meteorology
- Winter Weather (Snow/Ice)
- Heavy Rainfall/Flash Flooding
- Marine Meteorology
- Aviation Meteorology
- Air Quality Meteorology
- The demonstrated ability to write extremely high-quality scientific reports and publications pertaining to meteorology.
- Driver's License (only for positions that require travel)
- A Certified Consulting Meteorologist (CCM) designation is a significant plus.
- Prior Forensic Meteorology experience is a significant plus.
J.S. Held is dedicated to becoming the global leader in providing multi-disciplinary consulting services to the construction, government, healthcare, industrial, insurance, energy, legal, and technology, communities. We have diverse practice areas including Construction Advisory, Financial Investigations, Forensic Accounting & Economics, Forensic Architecture & Engineering, Surety, Environmental Health & Safety, Equipment, Toxicology, and Building & Property Consulting, among other disciplines. J.S. Held is devoted to recruiting and cultivating top industry talent to build a collaborative and diverse team of experts. We leverage our experience to provide local, cost-efficient solutions and unrivaled client experience.
Our mission is to serve as trusted, expert advisors to organizations around the world facing high-stakes situations that demand urgent attention, exceptional knowledge, staunch integrity, and objective, clear- cut analysis and advice.
Some of the Benefits We Have Include
J.S. Held understands all our employees are people and sometimes life needs flexibility. We work to always provide an environment that best supports and suits our team's needs.
- Our flexible work environment allows employees to work remotely, when needed
- Generous PTO Policy
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- 401k Match
- Commuter Benefits
A reasonable estimate of the salary range for this role is $65k - $85k. Any offered salary range is based on a wide array of factors including but not limited to skillset, experience, training, location, scope of role, management responsibility, etc.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
By submitting your application, you acknowledge that you have read the J.S. Held Online Privacy Notice and hereby freely and unambiguously give informed consent to the collection, processing, use, and storage of your personal information as required and described therein.Please Explore What We're All About At Www.jsheld.com.
EEO and Job Accommodations
We embrace diversity and our commitment to building a team and environment that fosters professional and personal enrichment is unwavering. We are greater when we are equal!
J.S. Held is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request for a reasonable accommodation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and include "Applicant Accommodation" within the subject line with your request and contact information.
This job has expired.