The Head Coach of Mount Mary University's NCAA Division III Cross Country program is an integral member of the Athletic Department at Mount Mary University and requires an enthusiastic, pro-active, high-energy individual who is determined to see that the program's roster goals are met. This individual must be committed to the NCAA Division III values to "Discover, Develop, and Dedicate", in addition to the MMU Athletic Department pillars to "Recruit, Retain, and Develop".
The Head Coach works primarily with the coaches, graduate assistants, student-athletes, faculty and other administrative offices to ensure that each Mount Mary University student-athlete and prospective student-athlete receives a quality experience. This opportunity requires the availability to work a variable schedule. Hours will be determined by mutual agreement with the Director of Athletics and work to best accommodate the needs of the cross-country program along with athletics department. Pre/post season hours likely to be slightly more consistent than in-season hours.
The NCAA Division III experience provides our student-athletes an integrated environment that focuses on academic success while offering competitive athletics and the support of meaningful non-athletics opportunities to enhance their overall educational experience.
- Recruitment - coordinate recruiting efforts to meet discussed benchmarks to ensure the cross-country program is playing and practicing at or above the ideal number of student-athletes. Provide monthly recruiting updates to the Director of Athletics and Recruiting Coordinator
- Prepare and conduct all practice and meet plans
- Prepare travel arrangements for team away meets
- Responsible for putting a practice and competition schedule together that meets NCAA Division III requirements and minimize the amount of class time missed for competitions
- Follow budget guidelines set forth by Director of Athletics
- Attend staff, admissions, athletic conference, and/or institution meetings /events when required
- Knowledge of, and adherence to, MMU Athletics Department Coaches Handbook, NCAA Division III and Conference rules / regulations regarding recruiting, eligibility, competition, compliance, etc.
- Assist as needed with management of home athletics events
- Responsible for team management, academic monitoring, fundraising, and team building event planning
- Promote and encourage a positive learning experience for student-athletes and a commitment to develop the whole person and nurturing bold, brilliant women
- Hire, train, supervise and evaluate assistant coaching staff including 1 Graduate Assistant
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics and/or Assistant Director of Athletics
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree required
- Master's degree preferred - in field of Sport Management/Administration desired
- Coaching experience - 2-5 years required. Head Coaching experience preferred
- Collegiate-level coaching experience preferred, at the NCAA Division III level desired
- Experience within a collegiate athletic environment required
- Collegiate varsity playing experience preferred
- Strong organizational, leadership, communication, interpersonal skills, problem solving skills, ability to work independently, and possess a high level of confidentiality
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to work with diverse groups, facilitate group process, and foster collaborative decision making
- Exceptional ability to multitask, prioritize projects, and extraordinary attention to detail
- Computer skills are required, along with the expectation to learn additional computer software programs, such as Front Rush, Jenzabar, and a variety of recruiting sites
- Applicant must pass background check and motor vehicle records authorization
- To perform this job successfully, the Head Coach must be able to accomplish primary duties adequately
- The Head Coach will become familiar with program's recruiting software and identify, evaluate, contact, and build relationships with prospective student-athletes. This will be accomplished through attending high school meets, attending showcase events, reaching out to HS and Travel coaches, reviewing match / skills footage, and other activities as determined by the Head Coach and/or Director of Athletics.
- Candidates need to feel confident talking on a phone and creating coherent, professional correspondences (emails, letters, text messages, etc.)
- Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform primary functions.
- May be required to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Must reach, bend, stoop, lift
- Must sit, walk or stand for long periods of time
- Some repetitive motion may be required
- Night and weekend hours
- Travel required
- Driving required
- Varying workflow; sometimes stressful with high workload times of the year
- Complete work required within a limited space
- Complete work required within a limited time
Mount Mary University encourages applications from all qualified candidates and is vitally committed to all aspects of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates and all will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, ethnicity, pregnancy, disability, genetic information, or any other groups protected by law. Mount Mary seeks to hire and retain personnel who will make a positive contribution to its mission, vision, and values.
For more information about diversity, equity, and inclusion at Mount Mary please visit http://www.mtmary.edu/about/diversity
This job has expired.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.