The Correspondent Lending Government Underwriter reviews, conditions and underwrites mortgage loans in accordance with established policies and procedures and appropriate guidelines; examines all documentation for accuracy and completeness.
Job Functions and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Exams loan documentation for accuracy and completeness and determines whether additional information may be required in order to make a credit decision.
- Responsible for making independent decisions regarding acceptance and risk of loans according to agency, company, and investor guidelines.
- Approves loans, issues alternative options or adverse actions accordingly.
- Adheres to all applicable internal PHH Mortgage policies and procedures.
- Meets determined service level time frame requirements set by management.
- Work with staff and management to find solutions on escalated loans.
- Manage loans by using all functions of Encompass.
- Effectively communicate underwriting decisions to Sellers.
- Maintain high level of customer service and communication both internally and externally.
- May be requested to make recommendations for improving PHH's policies and practices.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the following education and/or experience:
TRAINING / LICENSING REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum three years mortgage underwriting experience with working knowledge of FHA, VA and USDA guidelines. Correspondent Lending experience preferred
- Ability to review income documentation, tax returns, credit reports, preliminary title reports, judgements, bankruptcy documents, appraisals and any additional applicable credit documents.
- Proficient in VA SAR requirements.
- Strong working knowledge of Encompass, DU, LPA, GUS, FHA Connection and VA Portal.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions both internally and externally in a professional, articulate and respectful manner.
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm
- Acute attention to detail
- Excellent customer service skills
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Good judgment with the ability to make timely and sound decisions
- Bilingual skills a plus
- Must pass the Company's Background Screening process prior to beginning employment. Additionally, as a condition of employment, you may be required to pass client-specific background check requirements or Federal/State licensing requirements, if applicable.