GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT: Summarize the nature and level of work performed.
Under the general direction of the ED Administrative Supervisor/Manager, the incumbent coordinates administrative and reception support functions in Emergency Department. Facilitates communication within and across treatment areas and external Hospital departments. Arrives patients, coordinates arrival to the treatment Areas, monitors patient disposition to aid throughput, facilitates movement to/from test sites and procedure areas. Organizes belongings, paperwork, transportation for discharge of patient. Triages all telephone calls and responds accordingly. Monitors entrances to secured areas, screens before allowing entry. Must be sensitive to patient needs and responsive to medical and nursing staff needs. Receives patients' relatives and visitors and directs them to the appropriate individual(s). Effective interpersonal and communication skills are essential. Provides support as needed to all ED staff. Must have excellent customer service and organizational skills. Is expected to train and be competent to cover 7 unique treatment areas with different workflows and requirements. Expected to train and be competent to cover ED Main Desk position.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Indicate key areas of responsibility, major job duties, special projects and key objectives for this position. These items should be evaluated throughout the year and included in the written annual evaluation.
PATIENT ARRIVAL PROCEDURES
- Performs Patient Arrival. Enters demographic data and obtains medical record number.
- Arrives patient as unknown if unable to identify.
- Follows up on identity of unknown patients.
- Places ID band on patient (or delivers to room at clinician request) and verifies name and date of birth.
- Redirects accompanying visitors/family to private waiting area while patient gets settled at the direction of clinical staff.
- Contacts Social Services for Trauma patients whose family has not been notified.
- Arranges for Emergency Release and pick up of Blood products at direction of clinical staff.
- Links Arrival to Referral and CMED note.
- Rooms patient in Epic
- Conducts bedside registration interview. (May entail belongings search for ID if patient is acute)
- Understands process to secure belongings for evidence
- Enters patient data into monitoring system after discharging prior patient from monitoring system.
- Advises patients regarding valuables. Secures valuables and documents at patient's request.
PATIENT TRACKING PROCEDURES
- Assembles, labels and appropriately routes patient paperwork.
- Reviews treatment area census in Epic frequently, and updates to ensure accuracy
- Acts as liaison between clinical staff and transport to ensure timing of transport to test area is appropriate.
TREATMENT AREA OPERATIONS PROCEDURES
- Arranges patient transport for tests. Places patient's name on transport board.
- Uses and differentiates between "Back In Bed" and "Back To Bed" functions in Epic..
- Monitors Epic Trackboard to provide timely notice that all handoffs are complete and inquires of clinical staff if timing is appropriate for transfer to inpatient unit.
- Arranges transport to inpatient and observation units. Places patient name and appropriate destination on Transport Board.
- Arranges non-patient transport.
- Ensures paperwork moves with the patient,
- Supports Alternative pathway to NWH admission by documenting bed assignment from Admitting, notifying Nursing, completing transfer checklist and arranging transportation.
- Facilitates communication between patients/visitors and Providers/Nurses. Provides direction and advice to patients and visitors on non-clinical matters.
- Responds to all Clinician requests for assistance. Refers unresolved requests to Charge for follow up.
- Obtains Blood Bank requisitions and arranges for tubing or pick up of blood products.
- Observes waiting areas/treatment areas and reports disruptions, unusual activity, change in patient status to Security or Clinical staff as appropriate.
- Monitors the Pediatric waiting area and informs clinical staff of any concerns.
- Assists with security by monitoring entrances to the areas. Requests limit to number of visitors at clinician request.
- Understands Section 12 paperwork, and knows which patients are on Section 12. Notifies Security or Clinician if patient on Section 12 tries to leave.
- Responds to entrance requests in secured areas via the monitor and screens before allowing entry.
- Troubleshoots reported hardware and software problems, Opens Help Desk tickets for unresolved issues by and notifies Charge.
- When directed by Nursing, explains Violence Against Women Act billing options to patient, completes necessary paperwork, notifies appropriate parties for Registration and Billing updates.
- Understands and complies with policy related to SANE paperwork. Arranges SANE nurse parking through Charge.
- Rounds regularly and collects paperwork from Provider 'done basket', labels paperwork, checks location of the patient in Epic and appropriately routes the paperwork.
- Runs reports to determine current location of patients who have left the department and other information.
- Reviews the referral list and notifies Charge of patients in the Department with unlinked referrals.
PATIENT DISCHARGE / TRANSFER / DISMISSAL PROCEDURES
- Sets up communication aids for patients when requested (IPOP, VPOP), or pages Interpreter services.
- Uses the Belongings function in Epic to document valuables and belongings.
- Checks safe log , notifies Charge Coordinator, and ensures that valuables are returned to patient prior to departure.
- Ensures patient belongings are returned to patient if they were secured.
- Arranges discharge transportation at direction of clinicians (taxi, chair car, ambulance, etc.) Ensures that MD completes Ambulance Necessity Form.
- For patient transfers to other facilities assembles paperwork, ensures Cobra Form is complete and signed. Sends original with patient and files copies with the rest of the discharge paperwork.
- For patient deaths: labels Report of Death and gives to physician. Assembles paperwork for Medical Examiner and gives to Charge with any MGH medical record paperwork. Assists with returning valuables to families.
- Dismisses patients from Epic.
- Dismisses patients from monitoring system.
TELEPHONE / PAGING / VOALTE PROCEDURES
- Processes dismissal paperwork. Labels all paperwork. Alphabetizes, and files paperwork.
- Answers all incoming calls for treatment area. Directs calls or assists callers.
- Understands protocols related to off scope patients and appropriately directs inquiries.
- Records and communicates lab results (stats and panic values).
- Appropriately re-directs stat result calls from the Micro lab.
- Uses intercom system and Voalte system for intradepartmental communication.
- Initiates pages at request of treatment area staff and when noting the need for support services.
- Assists patients with notifying/calling families upon request.
VISITOR ASSISTANCE FUNCTIONS
- Calls ancillary departments to obtain services.
- Troubleshoots issues with Voalte phones, reports unresolved issues to Charge.
- Reconciles Voalte phone inventory; notifies Charge of missing phones and phones not signed out.
- Meets all competencies to cover the main ED phone lines.
- Receives request via intercom for visitor permission from Front Desk Reception.
- Checks with patient's nurse for permission and relays to Front Desk Reception.
- Greets, assists, directs visitors arriving in treatment area.
- May have to redirect visitors to the family waiting area.
- Follows through on visitor inquiries throughout the patient stay.
PATIENT ON CALL TO OR PROCEDURES
- May request or instruct visitors to leave at request of treatment area staff.
- Prints additional ID band and delivers to patient room.
- Secures and documents patient valuable and belongings or arranges for family to take them.
SUPPLIES / EQUIPMENT / EOC FUNCTIONS
- Assembles any patient paperwork and labels it. Places in plastic sleeve and delivers to patient room.
- Orders and stocks specified forms and clerical supplies for treatment area.
- Tracks down and obtains supplies at request of clinical staff.
- Obtains equipment and arranges for equipment replacement/repair at request of clinical staff.
- Pages Environmental Services to clean discharge bays.
- Calls Buildings and Grounds, Network Services, Biomedical Engineering, etc. and arranges for routine immediate maintenance repairs.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- Communicates unresolved supply, equipment, physical plant, safety, etc. issues to Charge Coordinator or Team Lead for follow up.
(MUST be realistic, neither overstated nor understated, and related to the essential functions of the job.)
Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information appropriately
Sound judgment and critical thinking
Ability to prioritize effectively
Ability to handle multiple tasks in a busy environment
Strong organizational and follow-through skills
Accuracy and attention to detail
Strong customer service and interpersonal skills
Strong communication skills
Ability to be flexible and to function within a team environment
Has the ability to maintain composure in stressful circumstances.
Basic computer skills and/or facility to learn computer skills required for Microsoft Outlook, EPIC, etc.Schedule Requirements
All incumbents must work up to 6 holidays per year.Qualifications Education
- High School diploma or GED required
- Associate/Bachelors degree preferred
- Health care setting preferred
- 1 year related work experience preferred