Director Technology Development
Johns Hopkins Technology Ventures (JHTV) supports the commercialization of university technology through technology licensing, the development of sponsored research agreements and venture creation. JHTV serves as a business advisor to investigators at all nine schools of the university whose research has commercial potential and provides a set of specific resources to aid them, including IP protection, technology analysis, marketing and licensing support, translational and venture funding support, physical space though its FastForward innovation hubs, and professional services (e.g. mentorship, pro bono legal and accounting services, and educational programming).
Together with counterparts who specialize in life sciences technologies and engineering/physical sciences/software technologies, this Director position is focused on non-therapeutic healthcare technologies (i.e. devices, implants, wearables, software “apps,” consumables) that may originate from various schools of the university.
We are seeking a Director of Technology Development who is responsible for identifying high potential technologies and developing their commercial strategy through consultation with faculty, market research and business planning, and by leveraging the technology development and faculty support resources of JHTV and FastForward.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
Faculty Relationship Management:
- Source and connect with faculty who are conducting commercially relevant research and developing health care technology; raise awareness about JHTV's role as an advisor and service area, and advise/connect them with appropriate resources.
Business Planning & Project Management:
- Advise faculty on technology development with a focus on value proposition creation, development of technology development project plans, and leveraging of JHTV resources (IP and licensing support, research and startup funding, mentorship, programs) to develop technologies against commercialization goals.
- For a set of high-value technologies, provide direct project management support to ensure that maximum value is created, working across Johns Hopkins Technology Ventures to align on strategy (e.g. venture creation, exclusive licensing to industry, etc.) and resource allocation.
- With members of JHTV and members of school leadership, coordinate relationships with industry to open new sponsored research, licensing, and venture creation opportunities with corporates and investors.
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Works across the schools of the university - and with emphasis on biomedical engineering - to support new ideas with commercial potential and entrepreneurial faculty
- Works closely with faculty who have invented novel technologies in the health care tech space to assist with the articulation of a commercial value proposition; identifies key challenges and market opportunities, and assists with technology development plans
- Connects faculty to commercialization resources within JHTV and across JHU including IP and licensing support, mentorship, educational programs, funding, and FastForward venture creation expertise
- Provides project management support for high-potential technologies
- Assists the technology transfer team in developing technology licensing strategies and screening potential licensees that are startups
- Interacts with potential startups including but not limited to business model development, mentor matching, and fundraising support
- Supports development and execution of programs and events for startup education
- Participates in FastForward member screening and selection
- Collaborates with faculty leaders and department administrators to increase the culture of translation across the university
- Assists in the development of reports to school and department leadership summarizing the status of key projects and overall translational activity
- A scientific background and an Advanced Degree in Science or Business.
- Seven years progressive management experience.
- Experience in venture or business development in the medtech industry.
* Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date. Preferred Qualifications:
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Experience in technology licensing and venture creation.
- Professional experience in an academic environment.
- U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident required due to federal export controls.
- Must have the ability to understand complex technologies, demonstrated by relevant technical training or industry or technology transfer experience.
- Must have knowledge of intellectual property, technology transfer and technology development; ideally has experience with academic conflict of interest issues; must be conversant in the unique dynamics of software development and commercialization, including open source software.
- Must demonstrate a collegial and cooperative nature to be able to work effectively with senior and junior licensing associates, JHTV and University senior management, JHU faculty, and outside companies and entrepreneurs.
- Must be able to flex between strategic thinking and hands-on management of programs, projects and processes.
- Must be sensitive to faculty and early venture needs and work in accordance with university wide policies.
- Must have strategic and analytical thinking skills with an ability to solve problems and make decisions, with the ability to multi-task under deadline pressure.
- Must be able to network and interact, as well as support effective partnerships with key groups and individuals.
- Must have strong verbal/written communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
Classified Title: Director Business Development
Starting Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F, 8:30am-5pm
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: School of Medicine Campus
Department name: Sr. Advisor to President Office
Personnel area: Academic and Business Centers
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com
. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/
and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/
.The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled. EEO is the Law
Learn more:https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdfTo apply, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Baltimore-Director-Technology-Development-MD-21205/818410600/
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
This job has expired.