Posting Number SAECC2710
Advertised Title Director, Student Health and Counseling
Campus Location Main Campus (Memphis, TN)
Position Number 016798
Category Staff (Hourly/Monthly)
Department Dean of Students
Minimum Position Qualifications
Doctorate in counseling or clinical psychology from APA-accredited program and a minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible, relevant administrative experience in a health/mental health care setting/program.
Must be licensed as a psychologist/ health service provider in Tennessee.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
May need to work/travel beyond normal work schedule
Posting Date 12/02/2021
Closing Date 12/16/2021
Open Until Screening Begins No
Hiring Range $120,000 - $126,000 per year
Full-Time/Part-Time Full-Time: Benefits Eligible
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands to handle or feel, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk. The employee is occasionally required to stand, reach with hands and arms, and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
Additional Working Conditions
Special Instructions to Applicants
All applications must be submitted online at workforum.memphis.edu
Applicants must complete all applicable sections of the online application to be considered for a position. Please upload a cover letter, resume, and reference list after completing your application, if required by the system. Required work experience is based on full time hours. Part time work experience will be prorated as listed.
Candidates who are called for an interview must notify the Department of Human Resources in writing of any reasonable accommodation needed prior to the date of the interview.
Is this posting for UofM employees only? No
Oversight for both the Counseling Center staff and Health Center staff.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience in training and supervision in a university counseling center.
- Knowledgeable of operational requirements of a student health center. Effective communication skills. Presents and expresses ideas and information clearly and concisely in a manner appropriate to the audience, whether oral or written.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to deal with conflicts, confrontations, disagreements in a positive manner, which minimizes personal impact, to include controlling one's feelings and reactions.
- Ability to deal effectively with others in both favorable and unfavorable situations regardless of status of position.
- Accepts interpersonal and cultural diversity.
- Makes well-reasoned and timely decisions based on careful, objective review and informed analysis of available considerations and factors.
Additional Position Information
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides leadership and vision for the Counseling and Health Center, including the ongoing development of departmental strategic plans, annual goals, and assessment of clinical operations and all services. Appropriately documents the provision of psychological health services to students. Facilitates the efficient and effective operation of the Counseling and Health Center through regular staff meetings, individual supervision of staff, and consultation and collaboration with key strategic partners.
- Communicates to the community the Counseling Center and Health Center scope of clinical and educational practice, procedures for referral, and consultation services. Consults with and provides supervision of staff psychologists and practicum students by conducting regular case consultation and clinical staff meetings. Provides individual clinical supervision to staff psychologists and practicum students.
- Conducts client intake appointments and determines appropriate disposition planning. Conducts individual, group (couples and conjoint) counseling with students to address mental health needs. Administers and interprets psychological inventories and tests as necessary. Facilitates client referrals to both on and off‐campus mental health services as appropriate. Provides crisis intervention and emergency response including on‐call responsibilities.
- Manages the performance of all Counseling Health Center staff, including annual performance reviews. Provides the Dean of Student Office with monthly statistics and benchmarks of clinical and outreach services, quarterly updates of departmental goals, and a written summary of the Counseling Centers and Health Center's annual activities. Manages both the Counseling Center and Health Center's budget.
- Consults with faculty, administrators, staff, and parents regarding their concerns about students. Works collaboratively with Student Academic Success Division, Housing and Residence Life, Multicultural Affairs, Career Services, the Dean of Students, and other offices as appropriate.
- Actively cultivates and maintains collaborative working relationships with on‐campus departments, professionals, student groups, and organizations that promote and provide complementary developmental, educational programs, and services for students.
- Seeks and maintains collaborative working relationships with external providers of mental health services for the purpose of referral and the coordination of a continuum of care for our students.
- Serves on various committees; represents University and units to community and to national professional organizations. Consults with the Dean of Students Office in emergencies, assess students in crisis, and assist in the development and coordination of plans for students with complex psychological and behavioral issues.
- Participates in training student leaders, campus groups, faculty, and departments on mental health topics and intervention strategies. Coordinates and manages Counseling and Health Center staff participation in educational programs on topics that promote the strengths and capacities to facilitate optimal student growth, student wellness, and development as time and resources permits.
- Other duties as assigned
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
*Do you possess a Doctorate in counseling or clinical psychology from APA-accredited program? Yes No
*Are you licensed as a psychologist/ health service provider in Tennessee? Yes No
This job has expired.