Director of Operations
Johns Hopkins University has developed an ambitious vision to continue to integrate life design, experiential learning, and mentoring in the academic and co-curricular learning experience for all students and postdoctoral fellows. Under the leadership of Dr. Farouk Dey, the inaugural vice provost for integrative learning and life design, the university has announced the creation of three new departments and several new initiatives and mission that will ensure that every student and postdoctoral fellow will have the ability to pursue life purpose regardless of background, eld of study, or social capital. Read more about this plan here.
We are seeking a Director of Operations who will report to the Executive Director of the Life Design Lab and will lead the functional areas of branding and marketing, technology, data collection and analysis, event planning, on-campus recruitment, budgeting and grant management, and facility management. This individual will serve as the primary building manager and liaison to facilities management for the new hub of integrative learning and life design, scheduled to open in Spring 2021 and will house the life design lab, university experiential learning, study abroad, and undergraduate research.
The Director will lead a team of operations staff responsible for providing to support the Life Design Lab's mission of enhancing the professional development, career advancement, life design, connections with alumni, employer engagement, experiential learning, and mentoring opportunities for students and alumni on the Homewood campus of Johns Hopkins University. The Director, in collaboration with the Director of Digital Transformation, will lead data analysis and technological strategies that contribute to the advancement of the Life Design Lab.
This role will also collaborate with life design educators and with senior leadership across the university to develop scalable programs and interventions that engage students in life design, experiential learning, alumni and employer connections, and skill development. The Director will oversee the process of collecting, analyzing, and reporting engagement and outcomes data and continue to evolve the organization towards a vision of scalability, outcomes-based performance, and broad impact on the institution and higher education.
To be successful, the Director will achieve strong outcomes in the following areas: brand management and marketing, event planning, procedures and systems, budget management, technology management, facilities management.
To be successful, the Director will support life design educators and the executive director in achieving strong engagement and outcomes in the following areas: life design programming and education, experiential learning, employer engagement, alumni connections, and data collection, analysis, and reporting.
Specic Duties & Responsibilities:
The Ideal Candidate:
- Develop a processes, procedures, and policies to support the Life Design Lab's mission of integrating life design, alumni connections, employer engagement, experiential learning, and mentoring into the academic and co-curricular learning experience for students and alumni from under-represented communities.
- Lead a team to plan and execute programs, events, content, and digital resources to help students and alumni achieve their life ambitions.
- Work closely with the Budget Analyst and Development and Alumni Relations colleagues to build and maintain a nancial strategy that encompasses both management of existing funds and gifts, as well as the establishment of new gifts and endowments.
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with colleagues across units, including, but not limited to, academic departments, academic advising, life design lab, alumni relations, and international services.
- Recommend and develop tools and resources for staff to enhance their work with students and alumni. Customize offerings and approaches given unique needs of students and alumni based on areas of academic interests.
- Work closely with Director of Digital Transformation to assist in identifying, selecting, and implementing relevant technologies that serve students, alumni, and other stakeholders.
- Hire, train, supervise, and motivate a team of operations staff to scale efforts for a positive life design and professional development experience for all students and alumni.
- Develop strategic relationships with key leaders to facilitate continuous needs assessment and the effective implementation of life design and professional development for students and alumni.
- Meet regularly with administrators at the university whose ofces also provide career and life design as well as mentoring and employer engagement to encourage coordination and identify the intersections of programs and initiatives.
- Collaborate with leaders of diversity and inclusion ofces, Hire Hopkins, Hopkins Connect, PHutures, and career and life design ofces to build and maintain a network of employers and mentors across varied careers who can attend courses, programs, and networking events.
- Coordinate with the ofce of institutional research to collect, analyze, and report outcomes data relative to students and alumni having a satisfactory experience and achieving their life ambitions.
- Engage in social media, digital outlets, and academic and professional journals and associations to establish an exciting brand, tell the story, and serve as a thought leader at Johns Hopkins University and in higher education.
- The ideal candidate is comfortable with co-working and exible work arrangements. Our educators work within multiple ofces and spaces on campus. Rather than assigning ofce or desk spaces to our teams, we have modernized our approach and assigned laptops and cell phones and expect that our teams can work from anywhere for the purpose of scaling our impact across the institution. For this model to work, the ideal candidate must present excellent skills in relationship development and engaging audiences in groups and via social media and digital outlets.
- The ideal candidate is entrepreneurial, data and outcomes driven, strong in planning and execution, comfortable leading programs and interventions with groups, and enjoys developing relationships and connections with multiple stakeholders at once. Our new vision is focused on scalability of resources and services and does not utilize a one-on-one appointment model. For this transformation to work, traditional one-on-one counseling and coaching services are taking a backseat to a culture of scalable programs and interventions. Educators who thrive as counselors, advisors, and coaches and do not enjoy the intense focus on scalability and metrics may not be the best t for this organization.
- The ideal candidate is an effective user of social media and digital outlets to engage multiple audiences, strengthen individual and organizational brand, scale impact, and inuence public opinion. Candidates who are not comfortable with the utilization of social media in a professional environment may not be a good t for this organization.
Minimum Qualications (Mandatory):
- The ideal candidate thrives in environments of consistent change and enjoys identifying processes and solutions to ensure operational success. As a result, the candidate should be strong in collaboration, sharing of duties and tasks, and non-territorial of projects.
- Master's Degree required.
- 5 years recent direct experience within a higher education, government, non-prot, or corporate setting.
- Strong multicultural competency; extensive experience and working knowledge in diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- The successful candidate will have proven leadership skills, direct experience in operations and systems management.
* Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date. Preferred Qualications:
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Thought leadership in a related area is highly desired.
- Experience with facilities management.
- By way of experience, evidence of ability to develop and execute programs, courses, events, and content to scale impact across various constituent groups.
- By way of experience, evidence of ability to engage, teach, and energize various constituent groups. Knowledge of higher educational leadership and administration, higher education structure and governance and factors that affect decision making at private research institutions.
- Understanding of nationally recognized practices, trends, and procedures for university career and life design, especially the unique needs of students and alumni.
- Ability to translate student experiences to employment as evidenced by prior experience in either a government, non-prot, education, or private sector setting.
- Demonstrated skill in fostering new institutional relationships, and marshaling professional networks with faculty, senior administrators, employers and alumni.
- Experience in developing and implementing effective assessment methods and articulating strategic priorities.
- Ability to provide energetic leadership, with ability to develop and execute a vision, and effectively manage, supervise, and develop staff.
- Ability to demonstrate capacity to work effectively with persons from diverse backgrounds to promote an inclusive campus and community culture.
- Demonstrated skill in effective negotiation, building consensus and inuencing institutional decisions.
- Be inuential and manage change in a highly decentralized institution.
- Analyze information and situations and make independent judgments and decisions.
- Listen and communicate convincingly in written and verbal formats.
- Effectively and creatively utilize social media to increase engagement and inuence public opinion. Manage and delegate workload and work ow under the pressure of deadlines.
- Set priorities in a complex environment and represent the institution's perspective to external entities.
Classified Title: Associate Director IL & LD
Working Title: Director of Operations
Starting Salary Range: $71,510 - $98,410 annually (commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: Homewood Campus
Department name: Life Design Lab
Personnel area: University Student Services
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/
and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/
.The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled. EEO is the Law
Learn more:https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdfTo apply, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Baltimore-Director-of-Operations-MD-21218/821738100/
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
This job has expired.