At Sonepar successful leaders drive and promote our leadership mindset of Adapt, Dare and Learn.
Our Leaders are focused on building customer centric strategies, inspiring, empowering and developing associates, adapting to change, and driving organizational efficiencies to deliver results.
- Adapts easily to new situations, people, culture, and technology by choosing the right skill set at the right moment and place
- Can appropriately challenge the status quo; never satisfied and always looking to improve
- Is curious, willing to learn and explore new topics and to apply new learnings that align with current business objectives
The Director of Accounting is responsible for overseeing the general accounting function of all the companies of Sonepar in the US (Opcos) and assists the Corporate Controller team in the consolidated financial statements preparation and submitting consolidated results to the Group. The position will manage the close process for Shared Service Center and will have four direct reports (Senior Accounting Managers) and circa X associates. The Director of Accounting will contribute to the design and implementation of the Finance shared service strategy. This position reports to VP Shared Service Finance and VP Corporate Controller.
- Ensure and verify with Corporate Controller’s team and with Finance Operating Companies Leaders the integrity and accuracy of financial operations, safeguarding organizational assets and developing efficient business processes to record and report all transactions as per Group policies.
- Own country-wide general accounting for Finance Shared Services (all except Cash Application, A/R, Goods A/P and Vendor setup); including monthly close process at SSC and manage close-related queries.
- Assist US Corporate team in year-end reporting package finalization including footnotes to the annual report.
- Work closely with Corporate Controller’s team to develop, implement, maintain, and control application of accounting policies, methods and processes.
- Work in close coordination with the operating companies and other finance departments and clarify roles, responsibilities, ownership, and accountability of Opcos, SSC and Corporate teams in collaboration with Corporate Controller.
- Design and implement standardized documented accounting and closing processes across all Opcos to ensure their compliance, efficiency, and internal control effectiveness.
- Prepare and review monthly results and ensure timely submission to the US Corporate office, ensure that companies financial records are maintained in accordance with Group policies and IFRS.
- Organize a robust and efficient monthly/quarterly accounts reconciliation and balance sheet review to ensure their compliance and correctness.
- Perform relevant analyses on accounting data to ensure reliability and consistency of the figures as well as qualitative analyses on the balance sheet.
- Develop a robust program to integrate new acquired companies into the SSC.
- Identify and implement process and systems improvements in collaboration with IT and other departments to improve efficiency and control, to leverage scale with critical mass of people in SSC being able to do more with less, to transition A/P overhead accounting from Operating Companies to SSC.
- Under the governance of the VP SSC and the VP Corporate Control, own the SSC relation with external and internal audit and ensure smooth completion of audits. Is further responsible for the implementation of agreed upon recommendations, related to areas of responsibility, resulting from the audit findings.
- Provide leadership, supervise, develop, mentor and coach accounting teams and provide them with a vision and path to continuous improvement. Ensures that the accounting department is staffed with qualified financial personnel capable of meeting the objectives and responsibilities, noted above.
- Establishes and tracks standardized metrics to analyze, interpret and communicate the effectiveness and efficiency of the team and provide actionable recommendations for improved performance.
- Master’s Degree in accounting, finance or business administration required from an accredited university.
- Current Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license required.
- Thorough knowledge of US GAAP and/or IFRS
- 10+ years of experience in Accounting management positions within Shared Services Center organizations (public company experience preferred) and at least 5 years of public accounting experience (Big 4 preferred).
- Experience with consolidation, intercompany transactions, account reconciliations, and financial reporting required.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office products and ERP systems. Experience with Eclipse ERP a plus.
- Experience with reconciliation tools (Blackline or OneStream, for instance) preferred.
- Strong decisive leader developing a vision and new ideas.
- Worked in process oriented and focused Shared Service Centers.
- Proven ability to be a change driver, to develop innovative approaches and solutions to complex, difficult and/or unprecedented issues/situations.
- Strong resource and project management skills.
- Ability to demonstrate strong organizational skills.
- Excellent manager with rigorous approach of management and with influencing skills to ensure operational excellence and growth within the organization in the face of conflicting priorities and limited resources.
- Understanding of LEAN/Six Sigma tools and methodologies.
- Polished written and verbal communication skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Mindful of results and of deadlines
- Must be hands-on, have a strong work ethic, excel in a fast-paced environment, manage multiple and changing priorities with ability to understand issues, demonstrate resourcefulness and proactively resolve problems.
- Establish and maintains strong collaborative relationships with stakeholders, demonstrate exceptional customer service orientation but always maintain high standards of compliance as a priority.
About Sonepar USA
Sonepar USA is an independent, family-owned company with global market leadership in the B-to-B distribution of electrical, industrial and safety products, services and solutions. We are a proud member of the Sonepar Group, the world’s largest privately held electrical distributor. Sonepar entered the US in 1998 and has continued to grow due to strategic acquisitions and organic growth. Today, Sonepar USA is represented by 13 locally managed operating companies with over 700 locations nationwide. For more information, visit soneparusa.com.
Stay up to date with Sonepar USA, follow us on LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook,
What are the Benefits?
401K Plan, Health Insurance (medical, dental, and vision), Paid Vacation, Paid Sick, Paid Personal, Paid Holidays, Flexible Spending Accounts (Health and Dependent Care), Employee Assistance Program, Tuition Reimbursement, Employee Discounts and a definitive career path.