Otsuka is looking for an accomplished Data and Quantitative Scientist to lead the Data Science and Advanced Analytics (DS&AA) group within our Clinical Analytics (Biometrics) organization supporting the Research & Development (R&D) portfolio. The role will provide vision and direction, scientific expertise, and will be accountable for delivering on strategic data science projects aligned with the broader R&D goals and objectives. The individual will be leading a group of data scientists/statisticians with the aim of solving complex problems and/or augmenting traditional solutions with more innovative approaches to expedite drug development and enhance the value of our medicines/digital solutions for the patients. The role will also actively engage with stakeholders across the R&D organization to prioritize and manage delivery of projects across all phases of development and all therapeutic areas. This individual will report to the Vice President and Head of Clinical Analytics (CA) and will have direct supervisory responsibilities of all data scientists within the DS&AA group. This role will be reporting directly to the Vice President and Head of Clinical Analytics (CA) and will be a core member of the CA LT.
- Be able to translate the scientific hypotheses and problem statements into data science and analytical projects.
- Partner closely with stakeholders within CA and across key R&D functions to deliver on projects connected with the R&D goals and priorities.
- Foster a culture that embraces strategic use of data into decision making enabling improved business outcomes
- Attract, retain, develop, and promote talent to build a strong team with a balance of skills, experience, and different perspectives.
- Identify research areas that merit investigation, develop new hypotheses and methodological approaches.
- Identify and lead initiatives to explore new opportunities for deriving evidence towards characterizing or reinforcing value for therapeutic solutions by leveraging non-traditional analytical approaches.
- Act as advanced analytics SME in leading and conducting analyses to answer most pressing questions across business functions.
- Effectively provides technical guidance to Otsuka affiliate companies and development partners, as needed.
- Effectively champions the CA vision and mission to the Data & Analytics (D&A) and broader R&D organizations within Otsuka
- A PhD in data sciences, engineering, physics, mathematics, statistics, or a related quantitative field.
- 8+ year of experience in designing, delivering advanced analytics, including 3+ years in leading and managing a team of advanced analytics scientists
- Understanding of a broad array of data science methodologies to design or oversee the development of quantitative (data science, machine learning) models for various types of datasets
- Deep expertise and hands on experience working with large complex datasets from the real world
- Proficiency in programming with excellent development and data analyses skills using state-of-the-art technologies and languages (python, R, Matlab, or other scripting languages)
- Ability to design and/or oversee approaches for analyzing diverse data, including text/documents, sensor data, time-series or longitudinal data, surveys, and other varieties of health data
- Strong leadership that balances line and performance management with hands on technical and project leadership
- Experience driving large, complex change efforts, and drive results through influence, persuasion, and outcomes-oriented relationships
- Participate in designing the strategy, roadmap, building the team, mentoring, coaching, and development of talent and resources
- Work with extended teams, external service providers/vendors, Industry or Academic collaborators, manage budget and ensure quality deliverable for the group
- Demonstrated thought leadership in ambiguous business challenges with ability to explain complex ideas to diverse audience ranging from executives to technical programmers
- Excellent organizational skills with an ability to embrace change and effectively manage portfolio
- Ability to present and defend advanced analytics at stakeholder meetings, Industry forums and other external meetings
- Expertise in statistical and quantitative methods, (e.g. machine learning, data mining) and their applications to various types of data
- Demonstrated experience and accomplishments in applying quantitative models to real life problems across disciplines
- Hands on technical and project leadership with full accountability and team spirit
- Strong Acumen to translate business problems into data science problems, solve them, and present as an end-to-end solution
- Strategic and outcomes-oriented mindset that balances depth, breadth to demonstrate value
- Strong technical writing, editing, and communication skills along with collaborative mindset that enables and empowers others
- Finally, a desire backed by will and commitment to make a positive difference to human health
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize information to develop recommendations, and influence organization on a recommended path
- Experience with sensor data, digital data, and other type of unstructured and structured data
- Experience with latest statistical and Data Science methodology
- Experience with mathematical/statistical modeling and simulation
Come discover more about Otsuka and our benefit offerings; https://www.otsuka-us.com/careers-join-otsuka
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the people assigned to this position. It is not intended to include every job duty and responsibility specific to the position. Otsuka reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.Otsuka is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran or disabled status, or any protected status.Statement Regarding Job Recruiting Fraud Scams
Job postings, job offers, or introductions to enter into a business relationship with Otsuka through a third-party vendor may be unauthorized. Avoid being the subject of a scam by dealing only directly with Otsuka through its official Otsuka Career website https://vhr-otsuka.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External
. Any authorized third-party vendor job boards should redirect any inquiry to this Otsuka Career website.