The Underwriter reviews, conditions and underwrites mortgage loans in accordance with established policies and procedures and appropriate guidelines; examines all documentation for accuracy and completeness.
Job Functions and Responsibilities:
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Examples below:
- Review and analyze the mortgage loan application to ensure eligibility, accuracy, completeness, and compliance with internal and regulatory guidelines to minimize risk factors
- Review all required loan data, reports, and inspections to insure the collateral is acceptable to investor, company, and FHA guidelines
- Responsible for making independent decisions regarding acceptance and risk of loans according to HUD, company, and investor guidelines.
- Provides final approval underwriting of mortgage loans.
- Completes all required paperwork and forms in a timely and accurate manner; prepares required forms
- Sign off conditions in a timely manner set by management
- Work with staff and management to find solutions on escalated loans
- May be requested to make recommendations for improving Internal Auditâ€™s policies and practices
- Manage loans by using all functions of Encompass
- Effectively communicate underwriting decisions with processors and advisors
- Maintain high level of customer service and communication with other departments
- Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the following education and/or experience:
- Two to four years related experience or equivalent, DE Underwriter required
- Must have mortgage industry experience.
- Thorough working knowledge of real estate documentation, policies, compliance, and procedures
- High level of proficiency with mortgage loan processing and underwriting systems
- Commitment to excellence and high standards
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- Ability to manage priorities and workflow
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm
- Acute attention to detail
- Proficient on computer programs required for position
- Excellent customer service skills
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Good judgment with the ability to make timely and sound decisions
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions
- Bilingual skills a plus