Primary Job Purpose
The Database Administrator III is responsible for the design, development, implementation, integration, and maintenance of multiple premium and core database management technologies, tools and utilities. This position provides technical, interpersonal and administrative skills in performing day to day work.
General Functions and Outcomes
- Understands data modeling concepts and methodologies.
- Works with a team to deliver and maintain database systems. Responsible for the design, development, implementation, integration, and maintenance of multiple premium and core database management technologies, tools and utilities. This position provides technical, interpersonal and administrative skills in performing day to day work.
- Responsible for, but are not limited to: requirements analysis, system design, implementation, testing, troubleshooting, patching, monitoring, tuning, securing, recovery and documentation of database management technologies, tools and utilities.
- Must adhere to IT departmental policies, standards and procedures. Those include, but are not limited to; technical and architecture standards, production and operational processes, and software license compliance.
- Able to perform the following basic database administrator functions with one or more core and preferred database technologies such as plan and communicate server and storage capacity requirements; install and configure database software, install and configure appropriate or necessary software patch or upgrades, design and configure database operational structures per application functional and operational requirements, configure database backups per operational requirements, configure database with application and user security per policy and standards, monitor and tune databases to meet operational performance and capacity requirements, monitor and tune databases to meet backup and security requirements, develops and maintains database operational support documentation, work with software vendors to resolve technical issues with database functionality and follow all established policies, procedures, processes, standards, or guidelines
- Designs and implements low-medium complex database systems or solutions. Includes architecting the design of software, backup & recovery, security, capacity, performance, or replication as it pertains database solutions.
- Plans, coordinates, and facilitates low-medium complex changes to production environments and systems within approved maintenance windows and with no unapproved impact to customers.
- Recognizes need to improve personal, interpersonal, and increase technical and leadership skills/behavior. Seeks new knowledge independently, creatively crafts own development. Is personally committed to and actively works to continuously improve him/herself. Works on compensating for weakness and limits.
- Participates in a team environment for the delivery and maintenance of data and/or database management systems.
- Meets established deadlines while maintaining a high level of quality.
- Takes initiative and seeks out work.
- Provides development and operational support services to two or more core and preferred database technologies.
- Designs and implements highly complex database systems or solutions. Includes architecting the design of networks, hardware, software, backup & recovery, security, capacity, performance, or replication as it pertains database solutions.
- Performs regular review of database environments, systems or applications to ensure system recoverability, performance, security and capacity adequately supports defined system requirements.
- Develops clear, quality and maintainable data management policies, standards, processes, procedures, methodologies, guidelines and system support guides. Seeks to improve policies, standards, processes and procedures.
- Provides consulting and communication to co-workers, customers and partners regarding appropriate use of established departmental policies, standards, practices and appropriate use and compliance with software licenses.
- Maintains inventory of departmental assets.
- Maintains knowledge of departmental software license inventory and utilization agreements.
- Participate in the evaluation of departmental tools or utilities used to provide automation or operational efficiencies. Able to provide recommendation and justification for purchase or utilization.
- Plans, coordinates and facilitates highly complex changes to production environments and systems within approved maintenance windows and with no unapproved impact to customers.
- Assists the manager in performing technical interviews, assessing technical abilities and personal behaviors, and provides recommendation for hiring.
- Provides consulting support for IT and Business partners by researching, identifying and resolving complex technical problems.
- Develops, tracks and executes quality work plans.
- Understands, directs and participates in deliverables required by approved IT Development Lifecycle.
- Provides leadership, training and mentoring on departmental technologies, standards and processes to co-workers.
Normally to be proficient in the competencies listed above
- Demonstrated experience with several of the following technologies, tools, utilities or methodologies such as Oracle RDBMS, RAC; MS SQL Server RDBMS, Clustering, Greenplum, PostgreSQL, Sybase RDBMS, Sybase Replication Server, DB2, MySQL, IMS, Adabase, Datacom, UNIX, Windows, LINUX, IBM Mainframe, SQL, PL/SQL, Transact SQL, Shell, Perl, Database connectivity/networking - clients, ODBC, Oracle Internet Directory/Names, Data Modeling, CASE tools, RUP, SDLC etc.
- Ability to effectively adapt to rapidly changing technologies and methodologies and apply them to technological and/or business needs of significant scope.
- Ability to analyze, diagnose and resolve complex technical problems and system coordination issues.
- Ability to work well with business customers and IT partners.
- Ability to plan and manage his/her own work, as well as 1-2 other team members.
- Demonstrated understanding of application development concepts and methodologies.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly in a timely manner in both verbal and written communication. Develop and maintains effective relationships within the team and across teams.
- Ability to interact comfortably with more senior managers and executives, without display of overt tension and nervousness.
The Database Administrator III would have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Business Administration, Engineering or a related field with six years' experience in information systems/technology and four years relevant experience with support or management of multiple relational database technologies or an equivalent combination of education and experience.Work Environment
- No unusual working conditions.
- Travel may be required, locally or out of state.
- May be required to work overtime.
- May be required to work outside normal hours.
- May be required to be on call 24x7.
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer dedicated to workforce diversity and a drug and tobacco-free workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law. A drug screen and background check are required.
This job has expired.