The Beckman Center for Cryo-EM at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, Maryland seeks a Cryo-EM Specialist (Research Analyst) with transmission electron microscopy (TEM) experience to assist with center operations. The Beckman Center houses state of the art TEM instrumentation and support infrastructure including the Titan Krios equipped with a Falcon IV direct electron detector and Selectris energy filter & phase plate, a Glacios (to be installed early 2022) equipped with a K3 direct detector and fast Ceta camera, and an Aquilos II cryo-CLEM/FIB-SEM (to be installed in late 2022).
Applicants should upload a cover letter, curriculum vitae, a brief summary (< 1 page) describing their relevant research experience in cryoEM, and names and contact information for three references. Application reviews will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Salary and the nature of the appointment will be commensurate with the candidate's experience and qualifications.
Questions about the position may be addressed to Prof. James Berger (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
The Cryo-EM Specialist will work under the guidance of the Operations Director, Dr. Duncan Sousa. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Assisting users with sample and grid preparation for 3D cryoEM analysis.
- Day-to-day instrument operation, including image acquisition and microscope maintenance.
- Providing user support for image processing and for structure analysis, model building, and validation.
- Software maintenance.
- Qualified candidates should have a Ph.D. Degree in a relevant field.
- Must have 4 years of hands-on experience in cryo-electron microscopy, including biological sample preparation, image processing, and structure modeling.
- PhD with related research, may substitute for experience to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula. *
- Master's Degree in a related science.
- Must have 6 years' experience in a comparable laboratory performing relevant techniques.
* JHU Equivalency Formula: 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for the required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
** Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date. Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Johns Hopkins offers outstanding benefits, including retirement, low-cost health, dental, and vision insurance, and college tuition remission for dependents.
- The successful candidate must have strong interpersonal communication skills and be able to effectively work with faculty, staff, postdoctoral fellows, and students from a variety of scientific and cultural backgrounds.
Classified Title: Research Analyst
Working Title: Cryo-EM Specialist
Role/Level/Range: ACRP /04 /MF
Starting Salary Range: $71,510 - $98,410 annually (commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F 7.5
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: School of Medicine Campus
Department name: SOM Biophy Biophys and Biophys Chemistry
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com
. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/
and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/
.The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled. EEO is the Law
Learn more:https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdfTo apply, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Baltimore-Cryo-EM-Specialist-MD-21205/822384900/
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
This job has expired.