Corporate Communications Director, BioPharmaceuticals
Locations: Cambridge UK, Gaithersburg US
The Director of Corporate Communications, BioPharmaceuticals leads corporate and internal communications for the BioPharmaceuticals organisation (BioPharma), enhancing understanding of BioPharma's business and building a positive reputation for its therapy areas, science and leadership. The role also serves as the functional lead for internal communications for BioPharma and as the lead communications support to the EVP, Biopharmaceuticals Business Unit (BBU) within the BioPharma organisation, covering external and internal communications for the BBU.
AstraZeneca BioPharmaceuticals encompasses the BioPharmaceuticals R&D organisation and three therapy areas: Cardiovascular, Renal and Metabolism (CVRM), Respiratory & Immunology (R&I) and the Vaccines & Immune Therapies Unit (V&I). We focus on delivering life-changing medicines for people living with the most common chronic diseases and providing immunity against pathogens where there is significant unmet need.
The successful candidate will have expert corporate communications and excel in developing powerful narratives for the biopharma sector through multi-faceted communications/campaigns that include media interactions, investors relations, external and internal digital/social channels and external/internal presentations.
The role is a member of the BioPharma Global Corporate Affairs Leadership Team, reporting to the VP Global Corporate Affairs BioPharma. The role manages a small team which has a focus on delivery corporate and internal communications for BioPharma. The role collaborates closely across with colleagues across BioPharma GCA and GCA more broadly, particularly the Heads of R&D BioPharma GCA and the Heads of the three corporate affairs therapy areas. More broadly the role collaborates closely with BBU LT members and other functions throughout the organisation.
Capabilities and Experience
- Leads the development and delivery the BioPharma narrative/positioning to reflect evolving developments and opportunities to increase understanding and belief in BBU and Biopharma R&D. Provides clarity to the BioPharma and wider-AZ organisation regarding priority audiences and opportunities to leverage the BioPharma narrative. Designs and delivers multi-channel resources/assets and campaigns to achieve this objective -- globally as well as within specific functions and geographies.
- Leads development and delivery of an internal communications strategy for BioPharma that informs, engages, and motivates employees by ensuring that they understand the business strategy. Partners with the BioPharma EVPs and other Senior Leaders within BioPharma GCA and broader GCA colleagues to synthesise, articulate and visualise the BioPharma strategy, performance, news and priorities for presentations and other engagements. Oversees internal channels strategy and content, which sit within a matrixed internal communications ecosystem. Plays a leading role in flagship BioPharmaceutical events, such as Senior Leaders Meetings.
- Partners with business leaders to develop and deliver priority internal and external communications initiatives with a focus on key transformations to deliver AstraZeneca's Growth Through Innovation Strategy.
- Leads team to provide internal communications support to BBU functions - Global Market Access & Pricing and Commercial Excellence. Includes limited support for respective BBU LT leaders to deliver significant events, establish communications channels/plans and/or deliver major organisational change communications.
- Serves as senior counsellor and lead contact for executive communications/external engagements for EVP, BBU. Includes developing and delivering an external engagement strategy and corresponding communications materials. Includes supporting key activities such as media interviews, quarterly financial results reporting, investor events/roadshows and speaking engagements.
- Leads the development and delivery of above-TA BioPharma digital strategy. Includes use of AZ's global corporate digital channels and paid-for/organic digital campaigns/content to meet agreed strategic goals.
- •Oversees small high-performing communications team. Coaches, manages and mentors these corporate affairs professionals, including talent management and succession planning as well as day-to-day skills development and training.
- Maintains strong network/contacts with agencies and contractors to support varying external and flexible resource needs. Supports and oversees internal secondments/placements and contractors to support incremental flexible resource requirements within Biopharma Corporate Comms.
- •Develops and delivers approaches for evaluating success of corporate affairs activities including KPIs, metrics, sentiment analysis, reputational research, return-on-investment evaluations, externally validated outcomes.
- •Demonstrates enterprise leadership and role models value-aligned behaviour.
- Strong global pharmaceutical communications capability including expert technical skills across written/digital/multi-media communications. Includes product/therapy area communications capability.
- Proven ability to serve as a senior counsellor and effective business partner to senior executives/leaders.
- Proven ability to business partner with leaders to develop corporate narratives and synthesise/articulate strategy. Expert at translating new or evolving strategies into effective communications including but not limited to presentations (PowerPoint), visual assets, narrative assets, external corporate communications (astrazeneca.com, annual report, etc.) and external/internal digital strategies.
- Strong media relations capability; track for success in preparing leaders for external media engagements (eg preparing key messages/briefings, providing guidance on media handling, supporting technical and F2F logistics).
- Commercial acumen and understanding of investor relations activities. Track record for providing valued support for investor relations engagements.
- Track record for successfully developing and delivering internal communications and initiatives to achieve employee engagement.
- Track record for serving as an engaged, credible member of a high-performing leadership team.
- Able to develop and lead a high performance team of direct and indirectly reporting members. Able to lead initiatives in matrixed organisations with deployed (not direct report) resources. Strong team leader and coach with experience in developing technical and leadership capabilities among team members. Able to cultivate best-in-class flexible resource options including agency support, contractors and secondments.
- Bachelor's degree is required; scientific and/or advanced degrees a plus.
- Expertise in 'above brand' and corporate communications for biopharmaceutical organisations. Global therapeutic/product expertise strongly recommended.
- Expertise employee, digital and leader communications, campaigns, business partnering, change communication and event management.
- Knowledge of compliance frameworks for communications (eg the UK Pharmaceutical Code of Practice).
- Knowledge of ways of working for global, matrixed biopharmaceutical organisations and its operating environment.
- Knowledge of the financial, regulatory, political and public health environments in the U.S., Europe, South East Asia, China and Japan is highly desirable.
- Political sensitivity and acumen - able to read the internal and external environment and proactively steer decision making accordingly.
- Bachelor's degree is required; scientific and/or advanced degrees a plus.
- Understanding of the AZ business and its operating environment.
At AstraZeneca we're dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and spark your entrepreneurial spirit. There's no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration, and always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development. We're on an exciting journey to pioneer the future of healthcare.So, what's next?
Where can I find out more?
- Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can't wait to hear from you.
- Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available, and we hope it's yours
Our Social Media,
- Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn - LinkedIn
- Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook - Facebook
- Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram - Instagram
Opening Date: 07/07/2022
Closing Date: 07/08/2022
Competitive salary and benefits apply
This job has expired.