The Department of Applied Mathematics and Statistics (AMS) is an academic unit within the Whiting School of Engineering. It is a Department with more than 30 fulltime faculty, 10 postdoctoral fellows, and 8 fulltime staff. The Department has over 400 undergraduate majors, about 250 Master's students, and 50 plus PhD students. It conducts research in several areas of applied mathematics and collaborates with other units within JHU and beyond.
The Materials Research Data Alliance (MaRDA) is a community network focused on developing the open, accessible, and interoperable materials data that fuels the Materials Genome Initiative. MaRDA developed through collaborative efforts across multiple universities and industrial partners, but retains its operational base in the Hopkins Extreme Materials Institute (HEMI).
MaRDA is entering a stage of rapid growth and over the last year has added over 150 new members from more than 100 research facilities in the US, Europe, Japan, and South America. MaRDA provides organization and support to the materials research data community through workshops, working groups, position papers, and its annual meeting.
The two entities jointly seek a Communications Specialist whose responsibilities include:
The initial appointment is for one year with renewal based on performance and continued availability of funding. Specific Duties & Responsibilities:Applied Mathematics & Statistics (50%)
- Create new releases for posting on web pages
- Ensure that the home pages for AMS and MaRDA are up-to-date
- Edit and create annual “year-in-review” for alumni and other stakeholders
- Collaborate with others on marketing material for programs
- Support the MaRDA Council to implement programs and manage meetings
- Collaborate with faculty, postdocs and students on news-worthy accomplishments, create news release for posting on the home page
- Work with department head to edit and create “year-in-review” document for alumni and other stakeholders
- Collaborate with WSE MarComm to produce flyers advertising AMS degree programs
- Work with faculty and staff to ensure all documents posted on the home page are up to date
- Develop and implement social media strategy for the department (lower priority)
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Collaborate with partners on news-worthy accomplishments, create news releases for posting on the home page
- Provide coordination for projects involving partners
- Manage Annual Meeting
- Bachelor's Degree in related field
- Two years related experience
- Advanced degree may substitute for required experience, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula*
* JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for the required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job. ** Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date. Preferred Qualifications:
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Familiarity with web page editing tools
- Undergraduate degree in a STEM field with interest in writing, communications, journalism
- Experience in writing science for the general public
- Broad basic knowledge and interest in modern science and technology
- Experience with large meeting organization
- Enthusiastic and highenergy selfstarter
- Sound, independent judgment
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Must be a good listener, diplomatic, and highly ethical
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion of women and underrepresented minorities
- Excellent teamwork skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Capacity to learn new technology skills
- Ability to think creatively and try new things
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high performance culture
- Ability to balance competing priorities, while bringing multiple tasks to completion on deadline
Classified Title: Communications Specialist
Starting Salary Range: $43,970 - $60,390 annually (commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F 8:30 - 5:00
Exempt Status: Exempt
Department name: Hopkins Extreme Materials Institute
Personnel area: Johns Hopkins University
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com
. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/
and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/
.The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled. EEO is the Law
Learn more:https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdfTo apply, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Baltimore-Communications-Specialist-MD-21218/819184800/
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
This job has expired.