Business Director - IDEALS
The Institute for Innovation in Development, Engagement, and Learning Systems (IDEALS) is a Center within the Johns Hopkins School of Education committed to ensuring everyone has lifelong access to high-quality care and education.
With partners across the spectrum of child and adult care, education, health and social services, we improve the efficiency and efficacy of systems that govern and deliver services to children, families, and vulnerable adults. At the same time, we work directly with individuals to positively improve their lives by defining new evidence-based practices and services; developing and providing training; inventing beneficial technologies; engaging stakeholders through effective communication strategies; and developing and operating large-scale public policy initiatives in partnership with government, business, and other constituent organizations.
Our team of researchers, practitioners, and experts at the IDEALS Institute work to understand the complexities of large systems and transform their operations into actions that improve the lives of the people who depend on those systems.
IDEALS is a fully soft-funded non-profit unit within the larger University. We bring an entrepreneurial approach to disrupt entrenched systems that are not effective in achieving strong human service outcomes, in ways that are cost-effective to sustain innovative public policies. We are seeking an energetic, creative, and compassionate finance leadership expert who understands there are people behind the numbers, and a mission to be served enabled by smart budgeting that understands the realities of managing and forecasting across multiple and constantly changing funding streams.
We are seeking a Business Director who will report to the Operations Officer and will work closely with the Executive Director in determining long-term financial goals and developing strategies to achieve the financial objectives of the IDEALS Institute. This is a tremendous opportunity for a director-level finance leader to maximize and strengthen the internal capacity of a well-respected organization. The Business Director will manage the Center's financial operations, including oversight of accounts payable and receivable, budgeting, production of financial statements and reports, and advisement of the senior management team on financial decisions, including finance modeling to drive new business acquisition decisions and budgetary allocations of personnel and resources across multiple active grants and contracts. The Business Director is responsible for monitoring and maintaining internal controls, while overseeing financial systems and related compliance requirements. This is a new role at IDEALS.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Develop financial projections and supporting finance strategy for the Institute's stated objectives and overall growth strategy
- Collaborate with IDEALS Operations Officer to develop cost models for new products and services
- Conduct financial risk assessments on proposed sponsored projects and initiatives
- Establish grant budgets
- Accurate monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting of sponsored project spend down; and aggregated to the overall financial picture of the Institute
- Build financial models to predict / forecast grant spend downs and advise executive leadership of the impact of strategic choices
- Accurate tracking of all accounts payable and receivable
- Coach and mentor finance staff to grow their abilities and build depth on the team
- Support the IDEALS Executive team in the annual budgeting and planning process, administer and review all financial plans and projections, monitor progress and changes and produce monthly, quarterly and annual budget vs. actual reports
- Develop a financial strategy aimed towards long term growth and positive IDC generation and oversee its implementation
- Oversee the creation, analysis and presentation of financial reports monthly, quarterly, annually and clearly communicate those reports to executive management and central School and University personnel
- Produce financial reports for the Institute's grants and sponsored projects, including all required financial deliverables per grant awards and contracts
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; periodically updating the Institute's standard operating procedures
- Remain up to date on best practices in nonprofit finance, business systems and internal control measures, and state and federal law regarding non-profit operations
- Responsible for the overall financial health of the Institute and directing the day to day accounting operations including oversight of accounts payable and receivable, including ensuring compliance with varying invoice requirements and timelines as conditioned in different sponsored awards; new business budgeting; and maintenance of allocation of staff effort and budget adherence
- Bachelor's Degree in related field
- Five years related experience including project management
* Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date. Preferred Qualifications:
- Master's in Finance, Accounting or related field (MBA preferred)
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 7+ years financial management experience (ideally working with a non-profit, and preference for direct knowledge of Johns Hopkins and/or similar university settings)
- Sound knowledge of GAAP, audits and regulatory requirements in the financial field (ideally with specific experience with a non-profit)
- Impeccable mathematics and analytic skills with proven efficacy in translating information to non-finance colleagues
- Able to meet tight deadlines and work evenings as needed
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Office suite with advanced proficiency in Excels
- Experience with SAP preferred
- Demonstrated team building and mentoring
- Ability to work in a fast paced and entrepreneurial environment
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
Classified Title: Project Administrator
Working Title: Business Director - IDEALS
Starting Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: 8:30am - 5:00pm/ Monday - Friday
Exempt Status: Exempt
Department name: IDEALS
Personnel area: School of Education
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com
. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/
and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/
.The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled. EEO is the Law
Learn more:https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdfTo apply, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Baltimore-Business-Director-IDEALS-MD-21218/821738500/
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
This job has expired.