Job No: 509194
Locations: San Diego
Categories: Unit 9 - CSUEU - Technical Support Services, Finance/Accounting, Probationary, Full Time
The department of Budget & Finance celebrates diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to recruit and retain highly-skilled and compassionate leaders. By prioritizing listening and learning, engaging in critical conversations, and thoughtfully considering the needs of our diverse community, we are creating a culture of belonging. We aim to offer opportunities for advancement and foster an inclusive environment so that all are valued and empowered to thrive.
The department of Budget & Finance is responsible for the preparation and administration of the University budget. Responsibilities include planning and resource analysis to improve the allocation and use of resources and development and implementation of policies, procedures, and systems to ensure fiscal control and responsibility. The unit is the primary source for budgetary information and provides professional assistance and advice to the administration and faculty relating to budgetary and other fiscal matters. The department of Budget & Finance is responsible for position management and processing the monthly university payroll data through the Labor Cost Distribution (LCD) module and for the monitoring, analysis, and reconciliation of the payroll to the appropriate accounts in the General Ledger. Responsibilities include input, analysis, testing, and maintenance of the PeopleSoft Position Management and Labor Cost Distribution modules
The Budget Analyst is the first level of professional budgeting work requiring general knowledge and understanding of budget and financial accounting principles and practices. Under general direction, incumbents are given less complex work assignments that expand the incumbent's practical experience and develop professional judgment in the application of budgeting principles. The Budget Analyst may provide work direction to other professional and/or technical staff.
Work assignments typically include some or all of the following:
- Survey and investigate budget matters, including collecting information from national databases and other institutions of higher education.
- Consult with and advise responsible officials on fiscal organization, fiscal procedure, and related problems.
- Analyze budget requests, including projection and revenue costs, posting of budget data to journals, registers, or ledgers, and performs continuous budgetary control of appropriations.
- Draft text materials to summarize, analyze, and justify budget programs
- Gather data and conduct studies on various problems arising in connection with financial administration; assist higher-level budget analysts and management with position control, labor cost distribution, and budgetary control functions.
- Provide information and instructions to management and employees of the CSU concerning specific phases of budgets and financial procedures.
- Prepare related reports and correspondence for higher-level review.
- Document and maintain business processes, standards, and procedures.
- Provide initial troubleshooting of financial systems problems.
- Participate in the design and installation of financial systems upgrades and required testing and verification of results.
- Conduct extensive financial data compilation, querying, and drilling on large volumes of financial data.
- Use integrated financial systems and/or other types of records management systems.
For more information regarding Budget & Finance, click here
This is a full-time (1.0 time-base), benefits-eligible, permanent (probationary) position. This position is designated non-exempt under FLSA and is eligible for overtime compensation. Standard SDSU work hours are Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., but may vary based on operational needs. Education and Experience
- Two years of progressively responsible professional experience in analyzing data including one year involving duties such as preparation, justification, and analysis or the control and administration of a budget or budgetary process.
- Equivalent to a bachelor's degree with a major in accounting, business administration, finance, or a closely related field OR a combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities.
Compensation and Benefits
- Experience in using Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Experience with Oracle Financials and PeopleSoft Human Capital Management.
- Experience with query tools (e.g. Brio, MS Excel, SQL, etc.) to extract data for use in a wide variety of analytical tasks.
Starting salary upon appointment is not expected to exceed $4,600 per month. CSU Classification Salary Range: $3,832 - $7,394 per month. Salary placement is determined by the education, experience, and qualifications the candidate brings to the position, internal equity, and the hiring department's fiscal resources.
San Diego State University offers a rich benefits package that constitutes a major portion of total compensation. For more information regarding SDSU benefits, please click here
. CSU Vaccine Policy
In accordance with the California State University systemwide policy, students, faculty, and staff must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or provide a valid medical or religious exemption in order to access campus. An individual is considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose of a two-shot vaccine or two weeks after the first dose of a single-shot vaccine.
The individual hired into this role will be required to submit their completed vaccination documentation to the university's secure online health portal prior to beginning work. Individuals with an approved medical or religious exemption on file with the university will be required to participate in SDSU's COVID-19 testing program. Supplemental Information
Initial review of the required application materials, including cover letters and resumes, will begin on January 3, 2022. To receive full consideration, apply by January 2, 2022. The position will remain open until filled.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
San Diego State University is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions (e.g., H-1B visa). Applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. Offers of employment are contingent upon the presentation of documents that demonstrate a person's identity and authorization to work in the United States, which are consistent with the provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
SDSU is a smoke-free campus. For more information, please click here
SDSU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, age, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, or covered veteran status.
Applicants with disabilities and applicants who require assistance completing an application may contact Recruiter at 619-594-7901 or firstname.lastname@example.orgAdvertised:
Dec 15, 2021 (9:00 AM) Applications Close:
Open until filledTo apply, visit https://careers.sdsu.edu/en-us/job/509194/budget-analyst
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
This job has expired.