Posted in Pharmaceuticals
Associate Principal Scientist, In Vivo Pharmacology, Oncology Research- Waltham, MA
At AstraZeneca, we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We're passionate about the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we believe we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you're our kind of person.
AstraZeneca's vision in Oncology is to push the boundaries of science to change the practice of medicine, transform the lives of patients living with cancer, and to ultimately eliminate cancer as a cause of death. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and haematological cancers.
We are seeking a highly motivated and independent Associate Principal Scientist (APS) with experience in cancer biology and a track record of scientific excellence to join our In Vivo Pharmacology Team in Waltham, MA USA. As an In Vivo Pharmacology APS, you will be leading research to evaluate the efficacy and mechanisms of action of antibody drug conjugates (ADCs) in Oncology. You will utilize your cancer biology experience and practical expertise to generate robust datasets that will have a direct impact on the oncology drug discovery process and drug pipeline.
AstraZeneca is a global, science-led, patient-focused biopharmaceutical company that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies.
At AZ, we're proud to have an exceptional workplace culture that encourages innovation and collaboration. Here, employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives - and made to feel valued, energized and rewarded for their ideas and creativity. AZ is a place where passionate people can immerse themselves in their work and make significant contributions to scientific excellence and medicines - does this describe a place where you would like to work?
What you'll do:
Working in this laboratory-based position within the Early Oncology In Vivo Pharmacology Team, you will develop, design, conduct and analyze both in vivo and in vitro experiments to assess the function of our candidate oncology drugs and dissect the mechanism of action of novel cancer therapeutics. You will be expected to collaborate with cross-functional teams including representatives from Translational Medicine, drug metabolism and pharmacokinetics teams, and Safety / Toxicology to help understand the translatability of in vivo research to the clinic. You will work collaboratively with project leaders to ensure the timely generation, and dissemination of critical program data, and contribute to scientific publication goals. As a highly organized, self-motivated individual with a strong background in laboratory science you will stay up to date with relevant technical and intellectual scientific expertise in tumor biology, pharmacology and cancer modeling and have a genuine passion for this field of research.
Education, Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
Ph.D. with >5 years of research experience in cancer biology or pharmacology.
• Biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry experience preferred but not essential.
• Experience developing and working with complex in vivo models, such as xenograft, patient derived xenograft (PDX), syngeneic and autochthonous mouse models.
• Experience delivering in vivo pharmacology studies in mouse tumor models, including dose-finding tolerability studies, PK/PD and efficacy studies.
• Experience with a range of in vitro skills, e.g. cell culture, molecular biology, immunoblotting, flow cytometry and ELISA.
• Works independently, assesses, and reports data in a clear and concise manner, with a clear understanding of its implications within the overall context of drug discovery.
• Maintains a well-developed understanding of approaches to drug discovery and applies a broader functional knowledge of the procedures used by diverse project groups to support the department where needed.
• Ability to drive, manage, execute and deliver results for complex multi-functional projects.
• Proven ability to manage, motivate, and develop direct reports.
• Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills together with evidence of delivery in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
• Excellent communication and presentation skills to report data in a clear and concise manner, with a clear understanding of its implications within the overall context of drug discovery.
• A proven track record of high productivity and scientific publications in peer reviewed journals.
• Experience with orthotopic xenograft and humanized models of cancer.
• Experience conducting in vivo research using biologics including, peptides, antibodies, and antibody-drug conjugates.
• Experience designing, conducting and analyzing multi-spectral flow cytometry immune-phenotyping studies.
• Experience in drug development in pharmaceutical or biotech industries
• Experience with ADC projects
• Experience in managing external collaborations with contract research organizations.
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big! Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we're opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
Our Waltham, Massachusetts facility develops life changing small-molecule research in North America, with innovative laboratories at the Gatehouse Park Bio Hub, just west of the city center. Our BioHub facility, is a bold new R&D initiative, which fosters life science discoveries and the exchange of ideas. Here, we play host to some of the most cutting-edge technology and lab spaces, all designed to inspire collaboration and cross-functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and inspired at work. We are dedicated to creating a culture of inclusion and collaboration. With a shuttle bus to and from Alewife station, the location provides you the ability to work in the heart of one of the world's most vibrant research centers.
Our Waltham site offers a variety of amenities to help book productivity and help keep our employees happy and engaged. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria and copy center. This is where you'll find newly-designed, activity-based work spaces to suit a variety of working styles while increasing collaboration between teams and the greater research community.
So, what's next?
A place built on courage, curiosity, and collaboration - we make bold decisions driven by patient outcomes. Empowered to lead at every level, free to ask questions and take calculated risks that write the next chapter for our pipeline.
If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and passionate about the possibilities, then we are keen to hear from you.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
Next steps: Apply today, or connect with our Talent Acquisition Partner - Kayla Harris: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kayla-harris-8723ab13b/ for a confidential discussion to explore this opportunity further. We are looking forward to hearing from you!
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.
Posted about 17 hours ago
Posted about 17 hours ago
San Francisco, California
Posted about 17 hours ago
*By registering with our site, you agree to our