Associate Director, Internal Communications, BioPharmaceuticals
Locations: Cambridge UK, Gaithersburg US
The Associate Director, Internal Communications BioPharmaceuticals (BioPharma) has two key roles : 1) lead internal communications and employee engagement programmes for the BioPharma Business Unit (BBU) and 2) deliver internal communications to enhance understanding and engagement in the BioPharma story. The role includes serving as a key functional support and counsellor to the EVP, BBU and supports activities for key BBU LT members, specifically Global Insights and Commercial Excellence (GIACE) and Global Market Access and Pricing (GMAP).
AstraZeneca BioPharmaceuticals encompasses the BioPharma R&D organisation and three therapy areas: Cardiovascular, Renal and Metabolism (CVRM), Respiratory & Immunology (R&I) and the Vaccines & Immune Therapies Unit (V&I). We focus on delivering life-changing medicines for people living with the most common chronic diseases and providing immunity against pathogens where there is significant unmet need.
The successful candidate will have expert communications capability and strong internal comms experience. Excellent writing, project management, planning and multi-channel communications experience is essential, with a sound pharma background desirable recognising the role holder will lead and provide counsel on messaging. The sometimes sensitive content involved, means that the role holder is required to demonstrate exemplary personal judgment.
The role reports to the Director Corporate Communications, BioPharma and sits with in the BioPharmaceuticals Corporate Communications team. The role works closely across BioPharma CA and Global Corporate Affairs more broadly. More broadly the role collaborates with BBU LT members and other functions throughout the organisation.
Capabilities and Experience
- Leads internal communications and internal communications channels management to tell the BioPharma narrative to reflect evolving developments and opportunities and increase understanding and belief in BBU and BioPharma R&D . Designs and delivers multi-channel resources/assets and campaigns regarding the BioPharma story to achieve this objective in close collaboration with colleagues in the BioPharma CA team. Creates clear operating principles and effective implementation of the BioPharma internal comms channel strategy to enable best-practice internal communications that are complementary to other BioPharma/business or unit-specific channels. Ensures strategy works effectively within a matrixed internal communications ecosystem.
- Leads delivery of an internal communications strategy for the BBU which informs, engages, and motivates BBU employees by ensuring they understand the business strategy, performance and priority initiatives. Works with the BBU EVP, leaders within the BBU and CA colleagues to articulate and visualise the BBU performance, news and priorities. Includes delivering effective, compelling business cycle communications (for example cascades from AZ Global internal communications, quarterly financial results, engagement surveys, annual objectives/scorecard roll-outs and end of year communications).
- Leads key BBU events/meetings and is primarily responsible for delivering highly engaging BBU townhalls, BBU annual awards and also serves as a key team member to delivering flagship BioPharma events, such as the BioPharma Senior Leaders Meetings.
- Partners with business leaders to develop and deliver priority internal and external communications initiatives with a focus on supporting the EVP BBU and BBU LT members, particularly the leaders of Global Insights and Commercial Excellence (GIACE) and Global Market Access and Pricing (GMAP). Includes providing counsel and coaching to leaders. For BBU LT members includes limited support for leaders to self-serve communications requirements where appropriate. Advise, coach and counsel internal stakeholders, including senior management, on events/issues that need to be communicated internally.
- Develops and deliver accurate, clear and compelling internal communications materials across relevant media.
- Maintains strong network/contacts with agencies and contractors to support varying resource needs. Supports and oversees internal secondments/placements and contractors to support incremental flexible resource requirements within BioPharma Corporate Comms. Oversees quality and compliance of work.
- Develops and delivers approaches for enabling performance improvements and evaluation of success of communications activities including KPIs, metrics, performance of communications, return-on-investment evaluations, externally validated outcomes.
- Demonstrates enterprise leadership and role models value-aligned behaviour.
- Significant experience of working in a fast-paced global internal communications team or similar corporate communications environment. Experience in pharmaceuticals and product communications strongly preferred.
- Track record of developing and delivering innovative and highly engaging internal communications to achieve tangible outcomes. Extensive experience of employee and leader communications, employee engagement plans and campaigns and change communications.
- Strong event management and production capability; track record for successfully running virtual and live events - simple and externally produced.
- Proven ability to serve as a senior counsellor and effective business partner to senior executives/leaders.
- Significant experience of managing different stakeholder relationships and confident at forging trusted relationships
- Excellent writing skills. Expert technical skills across digital/multi-media communications. Includes technical science/product/therapy area communications capability.
- Strong at translating new or evolving strategies into effective communications including but not limited to presentations (PowerPoint), visual assets, films and narrative assets.
- Expertise in 'above brand' and corporate communications for biopharmaceutical organisations. Global therapeutic/product expertise strongly recommended.
- Expertise in employee, digital and leader communications, campaigns, business partnering, change communication and event management.
- Understanding of digital channels and internal communications software options.
- Knowledge of compliance frameworks for communications (eg the UK Pharmaceutical Code of Practice).
- Knowledge of ways of working for global, matrixed biopharmaceutical organisations and its operating environment.
- Political sensitivity and acumen - able to read the internal and external environment and proactively steer decision making accordingly.
- Bachelor's degree is required; scientific and/or advanced degrees a plus.
- Understanding of the AZ business and its operating environment.
At AstraZeneca we're dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and spark your entrepreneurial spirit. There's no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration, and always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development. We're on an exciting journey to pioneer the future of healthcare.So, what's next?
Where can I find out more?
- Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can't wait to hear from you.
- Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available, and we hope it's yours
Our Social Media,
- Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn - LinkedIn
- Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook - Facebook
- Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram - Instagram
Opening Date: 07/07/2022
Closing Date: 07/08/2022
Competitive salary and benefits apply
This job has expired.