Academic Hourly - Part-Time Positions
Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
The University of Illinois continues to maintain the safety of students, faculty, and staff on the Urbana-Champaign campus. To accomplish this goal, the College of Veterinary Medicine is playing a pivotal role by providing a Molecular Laboratory designated for COVID testing using a safe and rapid diagnostic test relying upon Real-Time quantitative Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-qPCR). This testing procedure has been optimized with heat inactivation of saliva biospecimens as a first step in sampling processing, and mitigates any risk associated with COVID-19 virus exposure. The Molecular Laboratory housed in The Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory is seeking part-time Academic Hourly technicians to perform molecular diagnostic techniques in support of the COVID-19 testing. This is an hourly, part-time position in a laboratory meeting CLIA-compliant standards and provides comprehensive clinical diagnostic and research services.
The lab is open seven days a week and applicants should be available to work weekends.
STATEMENT OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform aseptic techniques and proper handling and processing of infectious substances, including checking in samples and proper identification of samples - 40%
- Perform assays to detect the pathogen, traditional or real-time PCR, RFLP or sequencing of amplicons, and other methods for validation; write Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) - 30%
- Order appropriate materials, maintain inventory of reagents and supplies, unpacking laboratory supplies, removal of laboratory waste and packaging for safe disposal, cleaning and disinfecting of laboratory space and equipment, care for lab equipment and include proper documentation of all quality control and assurance procedures - 15%
- Interact with VDL personnel, appropriate assigning test procedures for specimens, process specimens for immediate testing or storage for future testing and coordinate timing of the assays with other lab personnel - 5%
- Maintain computer proficiency appropriate to enter results into a database and report results to supervisors and communicate with sections heads and directors - 5%
- Perform other duties as assigned - 5%
- Doctoral, Master's or Bachelor's degree in Chemistry, Biology, or Clinical Laboratory Science or medical technology from an accredited institution.
- Minimum one year of practical experience in molecular biology.
- Training in microbiology, virology, molecular assays including PCR and rPCR
- MCB or Microbiology with emphasis in virology or bacteriology
- Experience with real-time PCR and/or sequencing
- Training in microbiology, virology, molecular assays including PCR and rPCR in a diagnostic or clinical setting.
Salary is commensurate with experience.APPOINTMENT STATUS
This is a part-time academic hourly position.PROPOSED START DATE
As soon as possible after hiring approval. APPLICATION PROCEDURES
For full consideration, please send your resume, a cover letter, and the names and email addresses or phone numbers of three professional references.
All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered.CONTACT
For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact April Edwards at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Convictions are not a bar to employment. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment
As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility.
College Name or Administrative Unit:
Veterinary Diagnostic Lab
Academic Hourly - Clinical Part-time Positions - Veterinary Diagnostic Lab (151758)
Veterinary Diagnostic Lab
This job has expired.