Do you have expertise in, and passion for Medical Affairs in Oncology? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact the US Medical Affairs Medical Director role in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you're our kind of person.
AstraZeneca's vision in Oncology is to help patients by redefining the cancer-treatment paradigm, with the aim of bringing six new cancer medicines to patients between 2013 and 2020. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and hematological cancers. As well as other tumor types, these are being targeted through five key platforms - immunotherapy, the genetic drivers of cancer and resistance, DNA damage repair, HER2 and antibody drug conjugates, underpinned by personalized healthcare and biomarker technologies.
We are seeking a Medical Director/Sr. Medical Director for our Gaithersburg, Maryland location.
A Medical Director/Sr Medical Directorin US Medical Affairs is a board-certified physician or PhD who has a history of clinical practice or significant industry experience in the Oncology therapeutic area. The Medical Director/Sr Med Dir is knowledgeable of the actions of regulatory bodies and has experience in all aspects of clinical trials. The ideal candidate should have significant experience in their medical specialty and would thrive on proactively engaging internal and external leaders and will serve as a medical expert for their compound (s) and disease area. They will also have strong commercial aptitude and/or experience, including proven ability to translate and appropriately align commercial and scientific goals and objectives. S/he will have solid peer relationships with external scientific and clinical experts in Oncology.
The Medical Director is responsible to lead the Core Medical Team (CMT). The Medical Director is knowledgeable of the actions of regulatory bodies, in particular FDA, and has experience in clinical trials. An ideal candidate should have significant experience in Oncology and would thrive on proactively engaging internal and external leaders. S/he is accountable for the development and execution of the evidence generation strategy. In addition, an ideal Medical Affairs Medical Director will have strong commercial aptitude and/or experience, including proven ability to translate and align commercial and scientific goals and objectives.
Minimum Requirements -Education and Experience
- All activities of study team physicians for US local trials including design of trials, medical oversight of trial conduct, data interpretation as appropriate and execution of compassionate use approaches.
- Ascertaining the medical accuracy and fair balance of medical information in promotional material and learning materials for both internal and external use
- Lead the Medical Evidence generation strategy of Core Medical Team (CMT).
- Interact with leaders of groups identified as strategic partners, including both payer and provider groups.
- Interact with leaders in the therapy area (external experts, Academic Institutions, and Prof Societies).
- Play an integral role in the planning and participation of national and regional medical advisory boards.
- Play an integral role in the planning and providing of training for external medical/scientific speakers.
- Provide clinical education and training for internal stakeholders such as regional scientific managers and members of product sales teams.
- Develop the medical Externally Sponsored Scientific Research program to align with strategy.
- Maintain key links into global brand clinical activities by maintaining collaborative working relationship with Oncology medical physicians
- Supply medical input into safety profile of the product in collaboration with Patient Safety (PS) physicians
- Work with commercial brand teams to provide scientific and clinical expertise/input into strategic and tactical decisions in support of AstraZeneca products acting as medical expert for disease area.
- Work closely with our Medical Science Liaisons (MSL) and National Clinical Account Managers to appropriately support key accounts.
- Supply medical insight into promotional material along with learning materials for internal and external use
- Work closely with Global Medical Alignment Leader (GMAL) to ensure US strategy is aligned with global.
- Graduate of an accredited medical school and recipient of M.D., D.O. or PhD degrees or equivalent
- Board certification/eligibility preferred in internal medicine or a related relevant specialty, Oncology preferred.
- Background in practicing medicine, clinical research, and familiarity with biostatistics, epidemiology and health outcomes preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication, interpersonal, and organization skills.
- High level of emotional intelligence.
- Strong business acumen, including working knowledge of changing U.S. payer and provider landscape.
- Proven ability to interact productively with both commercial and scientific colleagues.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in cross functional teams.
- Familiarity with OPDP, PhRMA code, and key regulations in the pharmaceutical industry
- Highest level of ethics and integrity.
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally. Travel will be up to ~30% of time.
- Medical Directors will have at least 3 years of relevant pharmaceutical industry or other related areas of experience.
- 5 years of Pharmaceutical Industry experience
- Additional training such as an M.P.H., M.B.A. or other advanced degree.
- Knowledge of relevant Professional Societies and Scientific Medical Experts.
- Experience with pharmaceutical drug development and Medical/Scientific Affairs
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we're opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can't wait to hear from you.Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
This job has expired.